Metal Cutting Bandsaw - Shop Fox W1715

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, this is for those fabricators seeking to expand their shop w/the tools that are so desperately needed to facilitate their creativity... but may not have it within their budget to buy name brand stuff... I've been quite happily using the 'JET' brand metal cutting bandsaw we've got in the shop at work until recently (a customer damaged it beyond all repair)... it was a touch awkward as my projects all needed a 12/24 hour turnaround, waiting till the next day sos I could avail meself of said "office supplies" - I did ofc really want one of my own, but at a starting price of well over a grand just because I lacked patience... yea, not gonna happen lol

Yet blindly buying "offbrand" tools is... somewhat chancy to say the least, particularly if ya dunno anyone who's tried it or there isn't even a demo model set up for ya to poke at.

Still, I took a chance and bought myself a smaller, generic version of the JET I used so frequently out of desperation as it's jus' not gonna be fixed/replaced anytime soon (management woes... w/e lol) and I was impressed enough w/it that I figured I'd pass along what I've learned.

The 'Shop Fox' part# W1715 4"x6" Metal Cutting Bandsaw usually retails for a mere 200-250 dollars, tho I do recommend buying/ordering one from your local hardware store instead of getting one online - given it's cast iron weight, S&H will hurt, Amazon offers "free" shipping... but ofc their retail price is an easy $100 more than the other outlets, so it's not exactly free shipping lol

While naturally it's not of equal quality as it's bigger brother, the name brand JET - the difference isn't so much that it's shoddy (cause it really and surprisingly isn't) but the simplification/elimination of some features, the JET offers hydraulic feed rate control (horizontal) whereas the 'Shop Fox' has a mechanical spring for example.

Interestingly, even it's crank handle (vice) isn't cheesy plastic, but cast & chrome steel... really, the only disappointing parts on it is the relatively low quality blade (to be expected, free w/purchase an all lol) and the sad lil plastic wheels it's got on it's base... yet, as I don't plan on racing around my shop w/it - I don't care lol, I could ofc replace the lil things if I did *shrug*

Other'n that I was pleasantly surprised by it's overall quality & functionality - they didn't cheat by cutting needful aspects like adjustable blade path & tracking, it's even got proper backing bearings instead of jus' a plate as I've seen on other cheapo bandsaws *shrug* There's a 2 year manufacturer's warranty too BTW... hopefully I'll never need it right?

SPECIFICATIONS:
*Motor: 3/4 HP, 110V, 1,725 RPM
*Maximum cut (round stock) dia.: 4-1/2"
*Maximum cut (rectangular stock): 4" x 6"
*Blade speeds: 78 FPM @ 40 RPM, 108 FPM @ 60 RPM, 180 FPM @ 80 RPM
*Blade size: 1/2" x 1/40" x 64-1/2"
*Footprint: Stand is 31" x 11" (without wheels)
*Approximate shipping weight: 170 lbs.

FEATURES:
*Blade included
*Automatic shutoff
*Three cutting speeds
*Ball-bearing construction
*Vertical cutting attachment/platform
*Stand with handle and wheels for portability
*Built-in material clamps

While ofc better tools are better heh, for the money - this lil bandsaw really can't be beat & given how critical such a tool is for the more advanced fabrication projects... ya jus' might wanna consider one ;)

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
I have one that looks very similar to that one which I purchased at Tractor Supply about 5 years ago. At that time I paid slightly under $200 for it. I've used it hard in my bicycle/blacksmith shop and have had great results with it. Tractor Supply sells made in USA replacement blades also. It's a great hardworking handy saw to have.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i have an old portable, hand-held band saw. the name escapes me at the moment, but i love it. i use it on every bike i build.

bonus points, it was free. a buddy of mine's dad cleaned out a house he had for rent and it was left there, so he gave it to me.