Quick release rim?

GoldenMotor.com

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
I know I've heard you can't use the quick release rims on the china motors but I can't remember where I heard it. why is this? I just picked up a Trek bike at a garage sale for $50 and it is in really good condition, 10 times the bike I have the motor on now. Heck the speedo that came with it is probably worth $30. can it be done or do I have to get a different rim.

Thanks,
Josh

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
ok good deal that is what I wanted to hear. I couldn't see any reason it wouldn't work. The only thing I was thinking is maybe they can come loose while you are riding, safety thing. thank you and anybody else use a quick release.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
800 sport i think, I'm new to trek so I have no idea what it was worth I just knew it was better then my wal-mart bike. It has a new brake system, speedo, some kind of shock system on the back that will work with my motor, a new rock shock on the front, new rims and tires, extra front and back rim with tires and tubs, nice metal pedals and toe clips which I took off already. the guy said his son only rode it 50 miles or so. I thought $50 sounded pretty good I guess.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Just a thought but some people who like he super heavy duty stuff don't like the quick release because having the release means having a hollow axle rather than a solid steel axle....FWIW - I have 2 bikes (one with and one without the quick release) and have not had a problem either....

Andrew

PS - As far as the really heavy duty axles...I know solid axles are available in Cro Mo but I am not sure if quick release axles are....

pmbassist

Jun 6, 2008
HI,

Just a thought but some people who like he super heavy duty stuff don't like the quick release because having the release means having a hollow axle rather than a solid steel axle....FWIW - I have 2 bikes (one with and one without the quick release) and have not had a problem either....

Andrew

PS - As far as the really heavy duty axles...I know solid axles are available in Cro Mo but I am not sure if quick release axles are....
Ah didn't think of that, seems that could be a factor in sustained fast riding (or if you're doing wheelies for 200yds ;) ) .

Thanks for the insight!

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
hey thank you I appreciate it. I may start out with the quick release and if I don't think it will hold up I may switch to a solid axle.

what is the difference in speed between a 44th and a 48th sprocket? I'm a big guy and I was wondering if a 48 would be better on the engine? is there much of a difference on hills?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Joshua,

Generally speaking each tooth you go up (slower but more pulling power) or down (faster top speed) on the rear sprocket changes your top end by about 1 MPH on a 26" wheel....With the typical HT type engine (I run a Dax 70) the 44T will be good for about 27 or 28 MPH before winding the engine out pretty high (6400 RPM or so....A speed I wouldn't care to have the engine run for prolonged periods because mine gets to sounding "rattly" that high up.....I geared to 36T and can go 34.4MPH at about 6400 RPM)...If you go to the 48T you will lose about 4 MPH top end but you will have better slow speed biking ability and more hill climbing power...48T would make it easier on the engine to come to speed BUT top end goes down and cruise RPM's go up....If your engine is struggling a lot ( hills, high altitude, high weight, slow operating speeds) a larger sprocket may be helpful....If it only struggles occasionally, perhaps pedaling to help would offset the need to buy another sprocket and have the engine be less "buzzy" most of the time to boot...Really depends on how "bad" things are now as to whether or not to switch gearing...

Hope this helps you.

Andrew