just a note

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
just stopped by to pass on some information from some tests I ran this week. You do not need a speed controller to have an adjustable speed motor. If you wire a 24v battery pack from two 12v batteries you can set them up so that you get 12v, 18v, and 24 circuits. You need two switches. one for the 12v circuit and one for the 24v circuit. 12v on 24v off equals 12v at the motor... 12v off 24v on equals 23v at the motor... both 12v on and 24v on equals 18v at the motor or slow med and fast about what a controller really does.

the wiring is simple.

but I warn you be sure your switch can handle the amps... and use fuses or breakers... or even a relay. Good luck

Sorry forgot to mention this will not work with brushless motors

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Yes seems a much better soultion than a dedicated ESC...big saving too, whats a 36v controller go for these days a hole 20 bucks from TNC Scooter this gives you buttery smooth acceleration, think its another 5-10 bucks for a hall sensor throttle or coulpe bucks for a 5v potentiometer from electronics store if you want to save $$$ I can see the switch thing getting people into alot of trouble.

KiM

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The only real potential downside to the above means of speed regulation would be a disproportionate taxation of some of the batteries, it's a valid alternative if one's primary interest is the tinkering and experimentation that deacon is known for.

While of course any number of controllers would be a better and far more efficient means of speed regulation - the above was commonplace in various vintage applications, even electric automobiles and boats in the late 1800's and can certainly be used for simpler DIY projects and research.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Theres already one post of a guy dunno if it was deacon? that went ass up out the front of his shops when he flicked his u-beaut 'throttle switch' the bike continued powering as the 'switch' was in the on postion and didnt return to off when released like a proper e-bike throttle does... Its a bad idea and i dont know whay anyone would suggest it for daily use when a speed controller for 24v is under 10 bucks. I'm all for DIY i think thats obvious by my worklogs but safety needs to come first IMHO, switches for throttles are not safe ...what happens in an emergency when you can't hit the off switch fast enough and you go careering into traffic OR the switch fuses closed due to its inability to handle the current?

KiM

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I didn't come here to fight so thanks for the reminder bye....
BWAHAHAHAHA dear me...Since when is posting ones opinion a fight? You posted your opinion of switches as a 'throttle/esc' I posted mine, its a forum thats how it works ;-S If you don't like your ideas critiqued best not post them in the first place. When people dont wanna play ball by your rules do you take your bat and go home to? What would happen if a noob comes here and takes your advice then heads straight out into traffic when his throttle 'switch' fails? How would you feel about offering the advice up as a suitable solution then deacon?

KiM

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Actually it was me that went to the ground and im fine now.
I have 2 scooters and one i made into a bike trailer and one i built into a scooter.
It was the trailer that flipped me because of a broken hitch, not because of the switch witch i was able to turn off after i flipped.

I have a controller but even with all the wires hooked up i did not get it to work and so thats why i hard wired a high amp toggle switch for a on and off switch.
And yes a push button switch that when you release the button the motor stops would be better, but were dealing with high amps and i got the high amp toggle switches for free from a online company.

And yes we could just get a controller but who wants to wire up 20 wires just for on and off ? Its not like i need 30 diffrent speeds, I just need slow and fast.
That can be done using a switch for 12volts and a switch for 24volts.
Heres a pic that might work,but i would use only one switch at a time:

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
And my toggle breaker switches can handle 50volts dc at 50 and 60 amps so they will not fail thank you, and i can get some push button ones which are safter,but i have to see if they have high amp ones. They also act as fuses which is cool cause no fuses to replace.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
And yes we could just get a controller but who wants to wire up 20 wires just for on and off ?
WHAT?!?! You use a brushed motor, thats 3 wires for the throttle a positive and negative for power and positive and negative to the motor how the **** is that 20 wires? LoL...again upto the individual i am simply making others aware of the inherent dangers, if the pick the wrong switch and it fuses it will do so in the 'ON' position doesn't take a genius to workout what could happen next...Ghetto setups like this do nothing to promote e-bikes thats for certain. Best of luck to both of you though....

KiM

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you must use push button and toggle switches then how 'bout old ford fender mount solinoids that handle higher amperage and don't stick (at least I havent seen one stick)and a D-ring emergency pull for disconnect, Just thinking out loud

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
I agree with KiM (in the facts if not in tone) regarding the safety of on-off switches, particularly recycling household switches that are not made for high amperage DC use. However, I successfully used a 40A 24V DC relay and a momentary switch on my first build. It cost about $10 for both parts vs about $32 for throttle and controller. It suited my purpose at the time although I wouldn't generally recommend it over a throttle and controller. One time while stopped at an intersection I hit the switch by mistake. It simply snapped the drive chain so I had to pedal home but fortunately I wasn't dangerously propelled into the intersection - jd