Best Way to Reattach Muffler?

GoldenMotor.com

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Hi.

I would like to semi-permanently reattach my muffler to the exhaust manifold.

The gasket that came with the engine has now turned-into a crumbly jigsaw puzzle.

I picked-up some Permatex red High-temp gasket maker at the auto store. I'm hoping to use this stuff that bills "Remains Flexible" on the pacakage.

What originally caused the problem was the exhaust manifold nuts rattled loose on the engine's first "Maiden Voyage" of about 5 miles. My neighbors were all appalled at the noise (one of them is a city council member. Ooops!)

Well anyways, I have some red locktite, and some blue. I'm reluctant to use the red, because I'm afraid that it won't come-off if I need to re-work the joint (like if the new gasket maker doesn't hold exhaust vibration/compression).

What should I do for a good, solid, and quiet fix?

Sincerely,

VaporKing
(c)
and The citizens of St. Paul, MN

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi; auto part stores have material you can use. no glue needed. get new nuts and bolts and use blue locktite on them. if you going to get a harley you should get used to parts rattleing lose.

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Thanks for the response.

The red high temp gasket maker is not good to use? I'm theorizing that it would be "rubbery", and absorb much of the exhaust compression, and work better than a hard, preformed gasket that always seems to get "baked", like those that come with the engines.

I was hoping to be careful enough not to let any of the stuff ooze into the inner aspect of the exhaust port, and ruin any of the tuning that is gained from the stock muffler.

Speaking of tuned mufflers, I saw a funky looking tuned exhaust on a "Kings" You-Tube clip. The video was interesting.

As far as things rattling-away from Harleys, I hope to cut my teeth with this bike first, before making mistakes with the Harley that would be very expensive.

So Stude, how many and what kind of motorized bikes have you put-together, if you have time to answer?
(c)

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I think the best thing to do is to try and find a new gasket or at least make one from the right kind of gasket material. The fuel is usually still burning as it exits the exhaust port at a really high temperature. Too hot for the gasket maker I think.

If you look real closely at my muffler in the attached pic you can see the effect of the heat. I painted it with 1200 degree high temp paint. It's really dull from the motor to where the baffle is then it becomes semigloss for the last inch and a half. I'd say the exhause it about 800+ degrees when it exits the cylinder. Too hot for gasket glue.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
RTV sealer- even high temp won't work for long. Go to an auto parts store and tell them what you are doing. They will have the right gasket papaer for the exhaust.

Part of the problem with the exhaust gasket is that it blocks part of the exhaust port.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
I used the egr gasket paper and it is working just fine. The roll at o'reilly's was $6 and there is enough to make at least 75 gaskets the size you need. I also used it on the carb manifold and it seems to work fine no vapor leaks there.