Cannonballs Threesome--Wheels Of Course!

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
A pic of the painted frame, just to prove it hasn't gone to the recycler. Haven't added the strut bars from the axle tubes to the seat clamp yet. The tab near the steering head is the mount for ammeter. Should assemble pretty quickly from this point, if I can find all the parts!

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks SB! Its the same Sage green as the Maytag bike, wanted a matched pair. Trikes aren't easy to paint. Had to mount the frame on an old seat post fixed in a vice to paint the bottom, then while tacky flip it with a bar through bottom bracket and hang by the rear fender stay(balanced perfectly there) to do the top. Some very tense moments during the flip! But its done and turned out well. Will give things a few days to harden up and start assembly.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Some pics of the E trike going together. My wife is gonna kill me. Theres no room for this except in the house!
Still has a bunch to do. Install the motor/controller/wiring, the trunk, controls lights, etc.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Few more pics. The Cyclo Motor ready for installation and installed with its controller. The trike rolls with no drive train resistance due to the twin freewheels. The disc is welded to the back of the motors freewheel so it always turns with the axle. Seemed to have plenty of stopping power just pulling the lever by hand. My only concern is adding throttle after coasting and not snatching the motors freewheel. Will take a smooth hand. Adding the trunk and the E system is next.

Whats the opinion of what to use to tie cables/wiring to the frame that is vintage acceptable? My gut says old school friction tape ripped into 1/4" strips.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That sure looks good and is a very clean installation.

I don't know if it's really a suggestion or not, but what I like to use for snugging wires up is leather. I make my own thongs (thinnish leather strips) out of scrap leather. If you cut a scrap that is say six inches in diameter (doesn't have to be a circle, just not something with sharp corners, and starting at the outer edge with scissors cut a strip say 1/4' wide and just keep going around until you get to the center. It's amazing how much continual thong you end up with. I use scraps of black elk hide mostly and instead of a tight knot I leave the ends with maybe an inch hanging. To my eye it looks good. On the other hand I used to do a lot of leather work making bridles and such for my Indian ponies and like leather a lot. It also tends to blend in with the seat upholstered in the same leather and foam grips covered and hand stitched in the same elk hide. I usually do the grips with a bit of fringe hanging and the ties for wiring with a bit left hanging kind of repeats that fringed look. It's all a personal thing, what appeals to a person. For me the leather is a kind of signature, like your coin hidden somewhere on a bike. You do it because it satisfies something in you. Who can explain it? Doesn't need explanation maybe, eh? I love your trike.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks SB!
I like the idea of leather. I have some scraps of upholstery grade in the matching brown of the seat. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

A bit more progress. About all that is missing is the headlight, chain guard and the head badge. An then the wire up. Went ahead and ran the brake cable temporarily with cable ties so I could ride it a bit(pedaling). Its really very nice. Turns are kinda fun, reminds me of my side car days. Isnt particularly squirrely but bet it would be at higher speeds. Gotta be easy with the brake, over application will lock the wheel. Takes bumps very well with the Thick Bricks on the rear, and the long spring seat of course.

Last pics until its finished, soon I hope. Really interested to see how it behaves under power, and how the motor drive works out. Check out the throttle control cable on the controller in the last pic- to funny!

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Looks great, as always with your stuff.

Your going to have to start selling these things to make room and continue your obsession/hobby.

Paint metal brake cable clamps to match frame, might be cool.
And get a light green brake cable.

That box looks like it should be full of pirate loot!

/cheers

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks LC! I probably wont have to sell any as Im pretty sure one day when I get hone they will be mysteriously gone! She will probably use the trunk to pack my stuff in!

I finally finished running the wiring. Thanks SB for the leather tie idea! I rather like it!
Am having an E issue. I mixed a few parts from different suppliers and may have an issue with them being matched. Put it up for a while to mess around with the Maytag madness. Will look at it first of the week.

Attachments