2nd Annual Midwest Motorized Bicycle Cruise 2016

GoldenMotor.com

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I am already loaded up! 7 bikes.

Actually headed to Grafton IL for my annual Memorial Weekend ride on the Great River Road. Taking several ferry rides and will be riding in Missouri and Illinois. 6 riders and 1 spare bike. Who said you cant haul 3 bikes in a pickup?

You know I will be there for the Scarecrow ride! Every ride has it's charm. My wife will coming along to drive the support vehicle and I hope to bring a second rider too. See ya soon.

Oh whats up for lunch? Cook out? Should we bring something to share?

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Dang..that is a heck of a load of bikes right there. I bet they are all real nice rides. We will have a slow cooker of pulled pork for pulled pork sandwiches and several side dishes. There will be plenty of eats and drinks...so there is no need for anyone to bring anything unless someone wants.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Dang..that is a heck of a load of bikes right there. I bet they are all real nice rides. We will have a slow cooker of pulled pork for pulled pork sandwiches and several side dishes. There will be plenty of eats and drinks...so there is no need for anyone to bring anything unless someone wants.
You do throw a good party. That's for sure.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
...... a slow cooker of pulled pork for pulled pork sandwiches and several side dishes. There will be plenty of eats and drinks...so there is no need for anyone to bring anything unless someone wants.
As a natural born pig myself, I've already got a powerful hankerin' for some of that pulled pork. :)

That's kind and gracious of you, ckangaroo. I'll make sure to bring something, of course. I'm not very imaginative. So it might be little more than, say, potato chips. But I'll make sure they're good ones at least.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Got my full face helmet in today. Car still in the shop, but they said it should be done by the 8th so I should be good to go! They upped the damage figure from $5000 -> $7000ish. Damn deer.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's beginning to look as though my wife can't make it.

We're pretty sure that she'll be working third shift either the night of the ride or the night before. She'll be able to choose. But she probably can't get both nights off.

She acts as though she still wants to come along. But I do know that if I had to work a schedule like that, then I could not attend the ride and still be properly rested for work. We've reached the age where such things just don't work very well.

Maybe she hasn't fully realized this yet. I know I'll end up suggesting that she skip the ride and get her rest.

But she might come along anyway. And maybe she can muddle through her job as well.

Long about the time for the fourth or fifth Mid-West Motorized Bike Cruise I think we might be retired. Or semi-retired. That would be better for our budget. It's just harder to arrange.

But we won't have hassles like this one in any case.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Getting close enough to look at some of the extended forecast. Of course...I take extended forecast with a grain of salt since they have trouble predicting what it will do tomorrow, but will keep an eye on it anyhow. Right now weather channel predicting for June 11 that it will be 83 degrees for a high with 80% chance of thunderstorms in morning and cloudy during the afternoon. Like I said...they will change that forecast 10X before the date, but I will keep an eye on it anyhow and lets hope it changes for the better as time draws near.
We may have to alter start times on June 11 depending on weather. Last year we raced against the weather, but managed to get our ride just in time for it to start raining shortly after our return.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
So it might be little more than, say, potato chips. But I'll make sure they're good ones at least.
For those folks out of the area who don't know about Kitchen Cooked potato chips. Eat those at your own risk. THEY ARE HIGHLY ADDICTIVE and we have many central Illinois residents who would probably need a stint in rehab to break the Kitchen Cooked potato chip addiction.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Getting close enough to look at some of the extended forecast. Of course...I take extended forecast with a grain of salt since they have trouble predicting what it will do tomorrow, but will keep an eye on it anyhow. Right now weather channel predicting for June 11 that it will be 83 degrees for a high with 80% chance of thunderstorms in morning and cloudy during the afternoon. Like I said...they will change that forecast 10X before the date, but I will keep an eye on it anyhow and lets hope it changes for the better as time draws near.
We may have to alter start times on June 11 depending on weather. Last year we raced against the weather, but managed to get our ride just in time for it to start raining shortly after our return.
You know what they say about the weather in the midwest? If you don't like it.... Wait ten minutes. It'll change.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You know what they say about the weather in the midwest? If you don't like it.... Wait ten minutes. It'll change.
Yup. And there's some truth in it.

But in June things are a bit more stable. Either it's thunderstorms or it's hotter than you-know-where and that darned Sun feels like a Martian death ray.

But I'd better not get started on that particular rant. I can go on for hours......:)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Funny but I've heard the same thing about the weather wherever I've lived.

Florida: "If you don't like the weather just wait an hour, or less. It'll change"

Colorado: "Don't like the weather? Just give it an hour."

Illinois: "Yeah, it's raining now but just wait an hour. It'll do something else."

Like Ray said, those 'long term forecasts' are usually a joke. I always like it here when they predict "One to three inches of snow" and we get 14". I've even seen them get the current weather wrong :)

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom are you going to be able to make it out again this year?
It's not looking good, Jordan.
Lots going on with Char, the family and some estate settlement issues. We have a time limit to settle and I might have to be in Minnesota about the same time as the cruise. It just isn't something I can leave Char to take care of alone. I'll know more in a few days. Thanks for asking though.

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Lots going on with Char, the family and some estate settlement issues. We have a time limit to settle and I might have to be in Minnesota about the same time as the cruise. It just isn't something I can leave Char to take care of alone. I'll know more in a few days. Thanks for asking though.

Tom
Tom

Hoped things might work out that would allow you to drive a few thousand miles to join us again, but family matters should always come first. There is always next year and the year after that, etc etc. You will always have a spot left open to join us if you can make it out and if you don't make it out this far again....I will always be honored that a friend drove a few thousand miles to participate in my little cruise event way out in the middle of nowhere. It was mighty inspiring and pretty damn cool.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thank you, Ray. It was an honor to be a part of last year's event and maybe if the creek don't rise I can do it again. If I can't make it this year I'll be with you in spirit. Maybe raise a glass to me when you guys are resting and relaxing after the ride.

I watch the videos occasionally from last year and remember the moments and they always make me smile. That was a time to remember. If I'm not there you guys have a great ride. Be careful, have fun and be sure to make some videos to share.

Tom

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I guess I'll try for Portland...things didn't work out for me this year . I miss having my wife around for the small details I struggle with now. Hopefully I can get back in the swing of things .

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois

Tom
Yeah, I've been wondering if you'd make it as well. It seems as though we've all got our fingers crossed.

My wife and I are definitely "on". I had feared that she'd be working third shift on Friday night. But that's not gonna happen now and she'll be able to join us properly rested.

And it just so happens that I'll be changing my schedule a bit in the week afterward to cover for a co-worker who's going on vacation.

The way it's working out, I'll be working on Friday, June 10, until 7:00 PM and then I'm off for five whole day!

So I'll be able to come on the cruise and then spend a few days recovering.

Things are coming together.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Not sure how many we will have for sure but my goal is to grow a little every year. I have a brother and a nephew who will be riding this year that didnt ride last year. It also sounds like all but maybe one of the guys will be here that rode last year and a few other new additional riders. My best guess would be 8 to 10 riders but the more the merrier.
Going to be a good ride.