Lighting it up! wiring help.

GoldenMotor.com

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
zptHey riders, for the past few months I've been working on my electrical components:
12v
headlight
brake light
turn signals
horn
universal motorcycle handlebar switch
30 amp fuse
flasher

Testing my wires from left to right to positive to blue has got my brain boggled.

Long tiresome story short, I'm at the point where I need to compile all my components together in a neat and safe package. So If there are any suggestions or simple diagrams to put the whole shebang together it would help me spend hours of research and save money and trips to RadioShack.

Thanks you talented mechanical crafters.

pic notes: my attempts at diagrams and photos of my build in progress.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for.

"Long tiresome story short, I'm at the point where I need to compile all my components together in a neat and safe package. So If there are any suggestions or simple diagrams to put the whole shebang together it would help me spend hours of research and save money and trips to RadioShack."

Do you want a complete wiring diagram or advice on where to put/mount things? Explain a little better what you need. We're here to help but need your input.

Tom

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
Ya I've been searching the forums and google for a complete diagram. The closest
I've seen are motorcycle diagrams, but they include the ignition, coils, and several
Other things that I don't need and are over my head.

So yes, if anyone has advice or simple diagrams they can share, it
Would be greatly appreciated.

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
Thanks magna, I have my controllers color diagram on board. I'm looking for a complete electrical wiring diagram of all my components put together. I've made some diagrams of components seperately (shown in my posts above) I just don't what the best way would be to wire all together.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi, its not nescessary but as ur not really up there on electricals it might be an idea to use 3 seperate fuses. 1 for head/tail light, 1 for indicative lights & 1 for ur horn (if u use 1, otherwise, 2 fuses) The one 30A fuse will suffice but should it ever blow u may have a hard time figuring exactly which part of ur circuitry caused it to blow (& it will keep blowing them til rectified). With 3 fuses, should 1 blow at least u'll know wot part of ur circuitry is faulty. Calculate the current draw of components in each sub circuit (eg; head/tail light), then use a fuse of double that figure. U can use an online calculator to figure the current draw. Type in the voltage & combined wattage & it'll give u current in Amps. Hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited:

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
You guys rock!! I was a little worried I would never find a solution and that I'd have to hire a mechanic to do the wiring. There have been several times I've felt defeated and completely overwhelmed.

Big thanks to you Gearnut for that diagram. You've really helped a super newb out!

So my next hangup is that I'm using this universal motorcycle controller switch (pictured) and it's probably one of the largest walls I've encountered in this wiring process. I've been able to hook up my blinkers, but if I remember my last test of adding a headlight, it didn't power up. I'm assuming it because the batt would not take the load or I need to add a fuse to the headlight..?

On a similar issue, my horn won't beep beep when connected to the switch too; even when it's the only component connected to the switch. I know the horn works when tested with an entirely separate on/off switch I had laying around. So this seems to not be a power issue so much.

Unfortunately I don't know the voltage or anything from the switch.

Attachments

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Ok, the diagram shows norhing grounded at the switch controller unit so here goes. We'll do ur headlight first. The red wire goes to ur battery +. Put a fuse between the battery & switch, as close as practical to the battery. The black will go to one terminal (or wire) on ur headlight. The other terminal or wire on ur headlight goes to ur battery -. Thats it. If u want a tail light it goes in parallel with the headlight, meaning the black wire going from the switch to the headlight must also go to one terminal or wire on ur tail light. The other one goes to the battery - just like the headlight did. Both lights should now work simultaneously off the switch. Ok, vehicle horns usually work by the horn button completing the circuit on the ground, or - side but they'll work either way. To do it the normal way, connect the battery + to one terminal of the horn. Again, put a fuse between the battery & horn, as close as practical to ur battery. The yellow wire would then go to the other terminal of the horn & the brown go to ur battery -. Should u want to do it the other way, put the yellow to battery +, again, use a fuse in this wire, close to ur battery. The brown would go to one terminal on ur horn & the other terminal would go to ur battery -. Thats it, all done. This is assuming no ground connections at the switch, of course. Dont let the Genie out of ur electrical system, use fuses. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
If u have trouble with, yell out so we can sort it. I havent actually seen one of these switch controller's, just going off the color code. Cheers

Last edited:

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
Thanks Ivan, I'll be trying this first thing tomorrow! I've added a relay to my horn, do you think this is necessary- if not the horn, somewhere else in the diagram?

I bought the controller thinking it would be convenient, but it's been a hassle and really confusing to wire and draw since every component goes to the switch.

I'll have to edit Gearnuts diagram somehow and draw each wire to one switch.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi, it will hopefully be all worthwhile once u have it all up & running properly. I'd suggest making up a proper loom when u have it all sorted the way u want, & enclosing all the wiring in heatshrink tubing. I have 2 small looms on my bike. 1 for the kill switch/CDI/coil & 1 for the white wire charging system/6V SLA battery/lighting system. I also used those waterproof automotive connector's (both single & dual) so I can disconnect components should I need to.
Ok, a relay is basicly a high current switch that is switched by means of a small, low current switch/wiring system. This means a physically small switch & wires can be used instead of a large high current capable switch, & the heavier, high current carrying wires make a much shorter run directly from the power scource to the required component, with the relay being placed between them. So really, unless either the horn or lighting system's current drain exceed the rating of the switches or wiring, IMHO a relay is just adding unnescessary complexity. If anywhere, I'd imagine the lighting system would benefit most from a relay as its use would be prolonged whereas ur horn should only ever be used momentarily. Calculate the current draw of ur head/tail light combined & that of ur horn & we'll have a more certain idea. Cheers

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
HEy everyone, I put my electrical work on the back burner because I've been frustrated with it not working. Ivan, I tried out your instructions and it didn't work out. For a minute, I had thought it was a faulty controller switch but I opened it up and everything seemed fine.

I'll be uploading a viddy soon so maybe some one could chime in.
Thanks again guys!