2stroke vs 4stroke

GoldenMotor.com

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
was looking into the 2stroke kits but the more I see the 4strokes I think maybe that's the way to go? im just looking for something to cruise around and that will take a hill or two, not looking to drag race or anything..
and the 4 strokes seem to have more bottom end and are a little more quiet
any and all info what you guys think would be great! thank you ..

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I think they are more reliable, but I can't afford one and I can't use a pull start.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
I've had mine for over 2 years now. Yes they are alot more quieter, you don't have to mix oil & gas, and they're more reliable....I have an inframe set-up, and a friction drive. Both have been reliable with no breakdowns.

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
i dont know why alot of people make a big deal about mixing oil but its no big deal.. CC to CC 2 strokes smoke 4 stroke in power but in this chinese case i would say the 4 stroke is more reliable and have the power where you need it, they are about the same for sound levels. You do have more moving parts in a 4stroke and require frequent oil changes. if your looking for reliability and just a motor to putts around with and not haul butt, the 4stroke is for you. It will weigh more and cost more but should last longer in theory 4strokes generaly last longer than 2strokes the size of the application does effect longevity.

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
yeah will be riding it in sections mostly ,not looking for top speed 25 would be cool, looking for torque for the hills I will encounter ....

I would like to get a kit that mounts inside the frame, titan a good motor for torque and hp? or is there a better set up out there?
thanks for the input!!
I wana buy a kit next week just trying to figure out the best kit for me..

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
4 strokes tend to have power down-low and wide band, 2 strokes need to be revved high to hit their stride, making hill climbing difficult for them. Tuning a 2 stroke to have a wide, low power band will trade for high power. Reliability, the 4 stroke, easily beats the 2 stroke. Quietness, it's hard to say. Out of the box, the 4 stroke definitely, but with a properly positioned stinger pipe in an expansion chamber, the volume can be reduced to be whisper quiet as well. Ease of use, probably 4 stroke. You do have to change the oil once in a while, but the convenience of being able to stop at any gas station, any time, and fill 'er up is pretty worth it. For modding, that's where the 2-stroke shines. They're so simple huge gains (AND LOSSES) can be had simply from a dremel. If it breaks down, it's not a huge deal, they're cheap (though that kings deal is pretty amazing), troubleshooting is quick, and easy to fix (a roadside breakdown is more common on a 2-stroke for sure, but it's almost always fixable on the spot)

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have built three 2 stroke bikes, one electric and purchased one electric and have recently built a 4 stroke bike. I was never completely satisfied with the 2 stroke bikes and sold them for a small profit. The electric bikes were smooth, quiet and reliable but range is short and batteries expensive. I sold them both, the build for a small profit the purchased for a loss. But I used it for a long time. So far I am liking the 4 stroke. There is some low speed vibration but it smooths out as speed picks up. It starts easy and runs good. I chose the 4g T belt drive but think now I would like a good working slipper clutch better. I have it in a 29 inch wheel bike and really like the ride and looks. I have a lot more money in the 4 stroke than in any of the 2 strokes. If cost is an issue the 2 strokes are probably the best bet. For me it is 4 stroke without a doubt.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I gotta say, don't forget about harbor freight at $100 plus 2 year free replacement for $20 more, well worth it
but that is a build not a slap together although slap together's are never as easy
as promised:)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think you need to ask yourself, do you want a motorBICYCLE, or do you want a MOTORbicycle.

If you want the former, get a 2 stroke. If you want the latter, get a 4 stroke.

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
thanks guys!!! great input
im thinking the 4stroke is for me , now just need to find a good kit .....
is there better 4strokes then others ?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Be sure and check out the laws for motor bicycles in your state. That can have a big influence on the decision making process of what kind of motor bicycle you end up making.

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
Not necessarily true, my friend. Have you ever taken a hill with a Huasheng? PMAO! :D
4strokes are better for the hills and low end grunt ? yes?
the kit they sell for the 4strokes ,that kit would pretty much let me mount a harbor freight motor on there as well?
the 99cc is a big power gain from the 49cc is it worth it ?
I just worry about the hills ,not that there is a bunch ,but I don't want the 49cc motor throwing a rod either

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
Be sure and check out the laws for motor bicycles in your state. That can have a big influence on the decision making process of what kind of motor bicycle you end up making.

thanks biknut
yeah pa laws looks like it says anything under 50cc and has pedals should be ok ,
there are a few around my way that have been ridding around I guess they aren't getting there balls broken,and they have the 2stroke motors..

and lets face it ,if a cop Is gona break balls about a motorized bike ,they are pretty much just being dicks! I could see if someone is ridding around like an ass ,or getting in the way of cars on a main highway ,but just cruising around sections ..
I ride a minibike around and cops are cool about it ,never broke my balls yet ,but I try not to abuse it either ! when the motor was stock I could ride it all day long pretty quiet ,I since have it all hopped up running on alky so it got expensive and pretty annoying on the ears lol

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
This 4-stroke climbs hills with ease.......

Yeah I prefer 4-strokes on bicycles ;)

now that's some cool stuff !!
nice clutch !
would be cool to throw a 2speed jackshaft in there ,I had one on the minibike takeoff was killer but for racing the minibike it slowed me down when it switched into second ..
but im over thinking everything lol
just need something too climb the hills that I come across here and there
and want to keep the bike a pedal bike also ..
I seen your pics and the forst one was the engine,the second one I looked at was the road rash , I no want dat! lol