My second build

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Well I did take it for a spin a few days ago. Didn't go to far as it was pretty dang cold, but sure felt good getting her out of the garage if only for a short bit. The little two smoker fired right up and actually seemed to enjoy the cold air as it ran pretty good.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Thanks for the kind words. Its been a fun project and it is fun to ride when weather allows. How about sending a bit of that florida sunshine and warmth up this way to Illinois and I might get to enjoy the bike a bit more?lol

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Lol. Well tonight is a low of 32. I know, I know...we don't get snow, but that's cold for us Florida folks. Lol. That's a sweet seat. Where'd you get it from?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been happy with all my Cranbrook builds. I don't know why they get such a bad rap.
My current one is a great ride. I changed to a set of sprung tubular forks with a triple-tree for the look and it does ride much better with that little bit of give in front. Good job spreading the cranfaith!

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I've been happy with all my Cranbrook builds. I don't know why they get such a bad rap.
My current one is a great ride. I changed to a set of sprung tubular forks with a triple-tree for the look and it does ride much better with that little bit of give in front. Good job spreading the cranfaith!
I havn't had any trouble with my cranny to speak of. I like the heavy spoke wheels and I also like the classic look. I did suffer a few flats on the bike with the stock tubes and I could also see how the stock fenders could be dangerous if not secured properly, but after upgrading to better tubes and haeavy duty fenders and a heavier duty seat for a heavier guy like me..not much trouble or much to complain about. I am 6'2" and around 240lbs and the bike has carried my weight around just fine. The welds have held up well thus far and I just really can't find a whole lot to complain about regarding the cranny. For less then a $100 cruiser...it has served me well so far and hopefully well into the future.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Just ordered a new cranny from wally world and a new flying horse 80 in black. Been away for awhile since suffering a flooded house last year, but now ready to begin a new motorized bike project that is long over due. Just kinda curious if the china girl engines have changed much if any in the last few years and kinda curious to how the latest cranny builds are holding up from what you guys have experienced or heard about? Been out of the loop for a bit, but really wanting to get back to some country black top cruising.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome back, Ray. We've missed you. Also glad to see you're building another bike.

The Cranny probably hasn't changed much. The engines/kits are all about the same too. I've noticed a slight price increase across the board. You don't see any $99.00 kits anymore, that's for sure.

Some of the vendors are selling disassembled engines where you have to install the piston and cylinder yourself. Some are offereing upgraded fasteners and crankshafts that are said to be balanced better than some of the cheaper engines. The jury is still out on that. You'll get differing opinions.

Yep, those old blacktops are calling you. Get to work and back on the road.

Still flying R/C ? I hope the flood didn't ruin too much of your plane gear.

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Good to see you still at it as well Tom. Last time we talked you had taken a bit of a spill. All healed up I hope? Still flying RC, racing go karts, fishing, target shooting, and working when I must.LOL Too many hobbies, but one I have really missed is the relaxing cruises on my motorized bike. Was hoping to have a new one built by now, but had too many irons in the fire for awhile, but things have slowly gotten back to normal and I am ready to build a new bike.

My bike and engine kit both supposed to be here by the first of next week...so hope to be cruising by the end of next week. I have some new HD video sunglasses I want to try out on a bike cruise.

It would be nice to get the HT engines in parts and assemble yourself. I have quite a bit iof engine building experience building my own airplane conversion engines as well as buildinbg my own go kart racing engines. So would be nice to assemble chinba girl engine myself to make sure everything is up to snuff.

As far as the crannys...I realize they are sub standard, but I normaly end up replacing most everything but the rims and frame. Just makes a nice cheap canvas to build what is in ones imagination.

Oh....the airplanes made it just fine. Most of them were hanging from the rafters in the garage. Had a few heli,s that got swamped, but things could have been worse. No hill to steep for a climber!lol