WD40 on chain

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I want to cry when I see this thread. WD-40 near any bicycle chain makes me puke a little in my mouth.

Chain wax w/teflon. Wax a new chain, and it repels almost any contaminate. Keep it waxed and it'll stay mostly clean til it wears out.

When it wears out replace it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I want to cry when I see this thread. WD-40 near any bicycle chain makes me puke a little in my mouth.

Chain wax w/teflon. Wax a new chain, and it repels almost any contaminate. Keep it waxed and it'll stay mostly clean til it wears out.

When it wears out replace it.
I cocur lol..laff

wheelieking71

May 17, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
i kinda get a kick out of this thread. i'm am in no way saying that any one persons technique for chain care is better than another's. rather how many different techniques there are. let me preface by stating the source of my chain knowledge. 25years of riding/racing dirt-bikes. i am a solid 300lbs, and definitely am not afraid to twist the throttle. i can torture a chain. now, my technique for chain care: buy a good chain (i run D.I.D. ERT-II on the 450), and skip the fancy aluminum rear sprocket. the next part is easy! keep the chain clean, and dry. its that simple. i will give it a spritz of WD-40 after i wash the bike to, get this, displace the water! LOL. followed by spinning the rear wheel while i hold a wadded up towel around the chain to dry it. but that is it. i cant remember the last time i "lubed" a chain. the best part? i was referred to try this technique by a Tsubaki chain rep. at a mount-morris motocross race many years ago. it has worked for me since. in a perfect world? yes, it would be best to lube your chain. the the real world: lube plus dirt equals lapping compound. i am sure there are many guys who are gonna tell me im nuts, but thats okay. just stating what works for me, and that is a clean and dry chain that the dirt falls right off of. keep in mind, i live in the southwest. there is no mud here!