first time for this backwards top end

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Re: different way to mount a tuned pipe

the piston was reversed. I haven't looked at this for quite some time.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Re: different way to mount a tuned pipe

the gap on the rings can hang up on your intake port when you switch it. it might not. but it looked too close for comfort for me, so i reversed it. it's easy enough to do it while the rest of it's apart, so it's no big deal.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I changed the piston with the cylinder mainly to keep the piston and cylinder wearing the same areas.
I have found these engines with the rings locater pins facing the front of the cylinder and with them facing the back of the cylinder.
If your going to change yours check the cylinder and piston make sure that the ring gap does not go over a port or you stand a very good chance of hanging a ring on a port, it will break the ring making for a very sad day for you.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Just a dremel to blend the ports, a torque wrench for the bolts, some gasket material, and assorted hand tools.
You will also need a modified exhaust pipe, and a modified intake manifold.
You can turn the cylinder around and leave the ports alone just to see if you really want to do the change.
I ran mine backwards for a while then went back to the original set up, I just wanted to say I was the first to do it.