<<<<jackshaft/friction drive hybrid.... two engines, one bike>>>>

GoldenMotor.com

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I had the day off, so I was sitting around bored today and got an idea.

Why not take my new specialized jackshaft bike and put my friction drive on it...

it was fun to test it out... it felt like my old honda trail 90. Shifting through the gears was effortless as the friction drive provided the needed torque to get back in the 2 stroke power band after shifting.

I dont know if this has been done before so i dont know how practical this is... But it sure is fun to play with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Too Much!! Hey, you still have a front wheel that's not powered!! Go for 3!! It'll get gas mileage like my truck!! Must sound awesome!

Mac

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I thought about doing that with my Staton R/S friction drive, but you actually did it...
Looks like a fun way to spend a day....

How did you work the two throttles out? Left hand trigger for the FD would be my guess.

How is it coordinating the two throttles and clutch? do the motors fight each other?

what size roller are you using?

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I thought about doing that with my Staton R/S friction drive, but you actually did it...
Looks like a fun way to spend a day....

How did you work the two throttles out? Left hand trigger for the FD would be my guess.

How is it coordinating the two throttles and clutch? do the motors fight each other?

what size roller are you using?
yes left hand for the friction drive... right hand for the deraileur shifter and ht throttle.

coordinating the two throttles is easy... you hold both down all the way, then push the rapid shift up with your right thumb when the 2 stroke hits redline.

the motors don't fight each other at all... I have a 1 3/8 inch roller so the rs has lots of room for top end speed. because of the auto clutch, the fd doesn't kick in until you hit the gas.

the sequence kinda goes like this.

1) pedal to start with clutch in.

2) blip right throttle and let clutch out. give it a little right throttle until engine engages.

3) give a little left throttle. shift out of first. when both engines are pushing the bike and the shifter is in second... ease into full throttle on both sides. shift up when needed without lifting either throttle.

4) when ready to slow down, clutch and let off both throttles. you can run the friction drive by itself if the clutch is in.

Last edited:

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I rode it around a little more and here is what I came up with for anybody interested/thinking about this.

the fd and the jackshaft kit make the bike heavy... heavier than I like.

upshifting is pretty easy and straightforward... downshifting and rev matching the clutch after going around corners is tricky.

it does go a few miles an hour faster than the shift kit alone... but I was having trouble in the highest two gears because because the chain was pulled too far off center. the chain wanted to go back to straight, pulling it into a lower gear.... so I couldn't max out in terms of potential speed. I'm sure I could tune some of it out with the derailleur, but I think it might be a persistent problem

overall it's too complicated for the gain in performance (which was comparable to the nos system available @boost bottle industries).

after I rode it a few miles I decided to take it off... I liked the bike better with the jackshaft kit alone.

Last edited:

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
That's me, have we met?
lol.. no, most likely not.

everybody that lives in Torrence is into hondas. how could you not be... it's only the home of hondata, Shawn church, and the first American Honda dealership.

i currently have three... had four but we sold the wifes fit sport to get her a grand Cherokee.

90 wagovan dx
2005 civic si w/k20a2 swap and kpro tuned by Shawn
91 bi6 crx

was just wondering if you built hondas too.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
5 motors ha! Let's theoretically go all the way:

Elec hub motors, front and rear, plus a Cyclone BB elec motor

Front drive mount gas motor, front in-frame gas, mid in-frame gas, rackmount gas

7 motors! maybe a 250lb bike too, but 0-20 quicker than you can soil your shorts lol

Last edited:

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
5 motors ha! Let's theoretically go all the way:

Elec hub motors, front and rear, plus a Cyclone BB elec motor

Front drive mount gas motor, front in-frame gas, mid in-frame gas, rackmount gas

7 motors! maybe a 250lb bike too, but 0-20 quicker than you can soil your shorts lol
now this guy has his thinking hat on... goat herder, take a lesson.

aleman... Sierra Nevada pale is my favorite beer. your avatar makes me want to fall off the wagon.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Lets see two electric hub motors, two jet motors, the weed whacker prop., In frame china, front and rear friction drive, finally sumthen in a back pack:D

and peddling lol. I got mebbe 11 without the peddling adding the hub motor linked below and the back pack. 11 if you can squeeze this on in!

All joking aside your two motor diddy is pretty kewl ya got a spare on hand .;)

Last edited by a moderator:

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Lets see two hub motors, one jet motor, the weed whacker prop., In frame china, front and rear friction drive, finally sumthen in a back pack:D

and peddling lol. I got mebbe nine without the peddling.

All joking aside your two motor diddy is pretty kewl ya got a spare on hand .;)
lol, 9 motors? come on.... now that is just plain ridiculous.

7 motors... seven seems to be the magic number. 9 is just overkill ;)