2+ hours chatting with tech support

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Two days ago I got a bill from Comcast that was almost 20$ more than what I usually pay so I called and spoke with a billing rep. While on the phone I discovered that for over a year I have been paying for service that I was not getting. Over a year ago I called in wanting faster speeds. The rep that I spoke with told me I would be getting the "Performance Plus" tier at 16Mbps for 53$ a month.

What I discovered while on the phone was that I was still on the entry level tier at 6Mbps. So Comcast had been stealing, through fraudulent billing, a little over 10$ a month for more than a year.

O boy! Now the fun begins. I went to Comcasts online chat support and spent about 2 1/2 hours chatting with 2 techs and 1 supervisor. The result is that a tech is coming out today with a new Docsis 3 modem, my speeds have been bumped up to the 12Mbps tier for 19.95 a month for a year.

I am still waiting on a supervisor to call me back so we can discuss the fact that Comcast billed me for services NOT rendered and to discuss the phone reps that have not been honest. I still don't really know what I am going to do as I am sure I am not the only person that has been defrauded in this manner. I guess we shall see after I get the call back.

Comcast>>.duh.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Well here is the update. The tech came and swapped out my modem and I am getting much faster speeds now.

As far as my connection goes I am very happy now. Now what to do about being robbed for more than a year... I am still waiting on the supervisor to call me back. I guess we'll see how that goes.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have been on the phone with tech support for way more than 2 hours many times. Worst personal experience was 3 calls that added up to about 18 hours in 3 days with Logitech about their webcam. Work calls have gone for days and days on end. One of those included getting the prototype cable used to build the interface between a PC and a IBM mainframe, just to see if that would resolve the issue ($36,000 18inch cable), it didn't and included talking with the actuall developer of the product. When the issue was finally resolved it was one of the best bang for the buck solutions I ever put in. A sad day when we switched OS's and had to replace the solution.

I think there still is a note on my account with Cox that I am a pain (A friend that worked at Cox told me about it, she also gave me her direct internal number to call.), I bet they were glad that I dropped cable TV and Telephone services. I still have Internet with them.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
...I think there still is a note on my account with Cox that I am a pain...
I was thinking that they had something like that on my account and that was the reason some of the reps over the phone acted the way they did. Once I found the online chat room, if I still have a connection but need to talk with Comcast, I go to the chat room. I've only run into one idiot there and spoken with about 10-15.

Still haven't gotten a call back from the supervisor about what they owe me for over billing me for so long. If they don't have a note about me being a PITA, they soon will have if they don't call soon.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try Qwest, for some real bamboozling. We were promised a $14.99 for life deal then when the first bill came it was for $43.00. We called and were told the $14.99 deal was only if we signed up for their full telephone service package; call waiting, call forwarding, caller Id, etc, etc. We said, "No, that wasn't the deal." Spent better than three hours arguing with various 'supervisors' and got...nothing. Our monthly is $43.00. What's the alternative? Comcast, at over $60.00 a month. They gotcha, comin' and goin'.
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I use a dsl from the local phone company. It is significantly slower than those high speed providers something like 125,000 or so bits. But you know I really can't think that fast anyway, I do watch tv shows and moves and have to put them on pause to let them load after a while, but I need a bathroom break about then anyway.

I had toyed with going higher speed but I pay thirty a month. I believe I'm going to leave it alone after reading these posts. Ps I hate the new computer support lines that everyone has now. The phone is even worse.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Try Qwest, for some real bamboozling. We were promised a $14.99 for life deal then when the first bill came it was for $43.00. We called and were told the $14.99 deal was only if we signed up for their full telephone service package; call waiting, call forwarding, caller Id, etc, etc. We said, "No, that wasn't the deal." Spent better than three hours arguing with various 'supervisors' and got...nothing. Our monthly is $43.00. What's the alternative? Comcast, at over $60.00 a month. They gotcha, comin' and goin'.
Tom
I remember that deal. To be honest, they were pretty upfront about the fact that you had to take the package. I remember that the cheapest you could go on a phone was the "teen" line with not LD. The alternative is turn off your land line phone. Get a cellphone family package and designate one number as your home phone, turn of all bells and whistles on that line, use the cheapest bluetooth phone you can get. Consider XLINK Communication Hubs and Bluetooth Cellular Gateway | Make or take cellular calls from any phone in the house. for around $100, It really does work. Determine how much Internet you need, You probably can live with the basic package, depends on gaming and video downloads. Think about what you watch on TV. Impossible as it seems you can figure out what you will pay, its a shame you have to pay extra for local service just to get the EPG for over air broadcasts. Build a spreasheet with all your options and pick and choose what works for you. The same goes for your electric bill and the rate plan you are on. When I put in my pool, I had to get a hold of the city to make sure my waste fee was not calculated with the amount of water I used to fill the pool, a one time occurance. Avoid automatic payment plans you may not notice that they raised your payment. I still pay online but I read the bill. Oh yeah check to see if you can get a "Seniors" plan

I think they, Qwest, used to have contest to see how long they could keep you on hold (I'm not kidding, these were the US Worst customer service folks, they even would send you to tech support, even though it was not a tech thing, just to route the call around some more. On smoke breaks I used to hear them chatting about it. I worked in the building with one of the call centers.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lordoflightaz,
Thanks, that confirms what I suspected and told my wife about Qwest. I'm going to let her read your post. Maybe she'll believe me next time and not think I'm just being a cynic. And I'm going to check into that senior discount...I think I've earned it.
Tom

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Don't forget I did say that the deal on Internet was a package deal. I didn't work there any more when it came out.

When I was there they had put in the best, by far, US Internet backbone of any ISP