Engine powered kickshift

GoldenMotor.com

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I've been scouring this section of the forum to see if there's a pedal crank setup that I can use to drive my Sturmey Archer S2C kickshift 2 speed rear hub.

I'd like to drive through a 2 or 3 sprocket crank using the smallest sprocket for the pedals and the largest for the engine. Is there such a thing as being able to pedal independantly from the engine sprocket with them both on the crank ?

The rear hub has a coaster brake and is shifted by pedaling backwards like you do when braking on the coaster. Ideally, I want to use the pedals to shift ratios and have the engine use both ratios as well. Is this possible ?

I was thinking something like sportscarpat used on his Sportsman 200 prototype but with both sprockets on the same side. See post #76 in the thread below.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33611&highlight=sportsman+200&page=8

MHF

Adendum.....maybe the rear crankset from a tandem bike ?

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Is there such a thing as being able to pedal independantly from the engine sprocket with them both on the crank ?
I have no idea about the shifting portion of your question, but I think you might be trying to do the same thing I want to do. I want to be able to pedal my bike without turning the drive sprocket, even if that means I'll need a pullstarter.

If I can reduce the noise enough while only pedaling by removing the tensioner as some have done, then I might not bother. But that seems unlikely, given that everything else I've done hasn't helped much (grinding down/soundproofing clutch case). Even with the clutch disengaged, anything over 5mph makes a loud "gwirr gwirr gwirr". Though there isn't much drag, I don't like this sound. It's like nails on chalkboards. I'd like to ride this to campus, but then shut off the engine and pedal on campus. Otherwise it's a mile walk and a drive plus up to 15 minutes hunting for parking, or a long bike ride.

Not sure if there's a hub setup that would allow for this, but others may advise. I want to switch my 44t for a 36t anyway, so it'd be great to do that at the same time.

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I'm looking into a rear rider (stoker) crankset from a tandem bicycle. I understand some of them allow the stoker to coast while the front rider applies pedal power.

Hopefully a mild engine wouldn't tear one up.

MHF

Last edited: