Gah! It Never Ends!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
It seems like I just hit with problem after problem! Big or small, there is always an issue. So I was putting my engine back together today after taking it apart once again. Yesterday I replaced all the gaskets and today I cleaned some buildup off the top of my piston. So today after I put the engine back together I put a new clutch lever and new heavy duty clutch cable on my ride, which all went smoothly. As I was putting the 2-week old Dax RT carb back on my intake I noticed that though it was tightened all the way the carb would not sit on the intake tightly.

Further investigation shows that the bolt which clamps the carb onto the intake is stripped! No matter what I do it seems like there is always something that goes wrong!

Anyway, any ideas on getting the stripped bolt/nut off of the RT carb? The head of the bolt is not stripped and can be rotated with hex wrench, and the nut just stays in place while turning. I have a spare bolt and locknut that will fit but I can't seem to get this bolt out.
:-||

Last edited:

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Nevermind! Just called and talked to Duane over at ThatsDax and he gave me some advice on getting the bolt out. It worked and I am replacing the bolt/nut now. Thanks a lot Duane you are awesome!

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Once again another problem. After I got the carb on the engine wouldn't fire. Fantastic. Had some trouble where the RT carb choke lever wouldn't switch back up when engaging the throttle but I am not sure if that is the problem. Gonna check all the electrical now. This is horrible I need my bike to get to work tomorrow. The wife is going out of town a couple hours before my day starts for her sister's baby-birth so no ride there.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make sure the choke lever is tight. There's a screw that holds it to the carburetor body. If that screw is loose the choke return will be hard to operate because the choke plate isn't correctly disengaged when you twist the throttle. Most of the RTs I've worked with required that the screw be tightened. Don't get too heavy handed or the choke won't work at all. Tighten the screw just enough so the plate moves freely but doesn't flop around.
If the choke will not disengage and stays shut, the engine won't run very long or well.
I modified an RT carb and made the choke a manually operated as opposed to the snap action, spring loaded idea. It works great if and when you need the choke. Some have complained of the throttle cable breaking on the RT. I suspect that is because they need to twist the throttle very hard to get the choke plate to release.
Tom

Last edited: