Ready made for the machanically uninclined?

GoldenMotor.com

HannahJay

Mar 10, 2011
Arizona
Hi there, I've been looking for info on motorized bikes without much luck, so I hope you can help me. I've been an avid cyclist for years, but due to some nerve damage in my legs I suffer from intermittent leg pain that keeps me off the trails from time to time.

My physical therapist suggested I consider a motorized bike that I can pedal only when I feel up to it. I love this idea, but I have no idea where to start. Shopping around, I've mostly either found sites selling mopeds and scooters or DIY kits that are way beyond my skills. I did stumble upon this electric bicycle, but I don't really know what to look for so I don't know if it's any good or not.

Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions to a confused newbie? TIA!

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Hi Hanna, welcome to Motorbicycling. Most of this stuff are kit based, even the electrics.
For non-mechanical people I would stay away from the cheap china gas kits.

I remember seeing a video on youtube of a lady quite happy with an electric factory made bike.
Endlesssphere is a website dedicated to electric power, you might also check them out. Electric is OK if you use the expensive batterys.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I recommend that you try the GEBE - Golden Eagle Bike Engines.

Their kit is easy to install and very reliable. I have their 32cc Tanaka engine on an old mountain bike, and it is terrific. Unlike most of the people on this site, I love pedaling and pedal all the time. It's just fun to ride.