OCC front drum brake conversion?

GoldenMotor.com

Sikdeath

Jun 7, 2014
california
Im looking to convert my front wheel to have a drum brake on my Schwin OCC stingray chopper. i've been looking all around to convert it and just get the parts so i can do it my self, it's the easiest for me to learn how to fix and function my bike if i put it all together myself. can anyone point me in the right direction? ive been working on this project myself for 2 years now i just want to have better functions on my bike while riding it to work and such.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Is it a 24" wheel? If so, you can get a 24" front drum wheel complete from Husky Cycles or Worksman. Complete drum wheels come in 24" or 26". I'm not aware of any complete 20" wheels. If it's a 20" wheel, you can buy a drum hub on ebay and lace it in yourself. You'll need to calculate spoke length. There are a few good spoke length calculators online, you just have to search for one.

Sikdeath

Jun 7, 2014
california
Yes my front wheel is 24 x 2.10 i think that's what the ".--" was it was dark in the garage. haha. i searched for the drum brake un-assembled on the wheel, i have so far come to a dead end, what should i do? would it be cheaper to convert my wheel to drum if i did it myself, this would also mean i would have to respoke my front wheel right? which is why you mentioned me having to get the spoke length, but i just dont want to spent like $150 on a wheel already built, when i can do it myself, haha :)

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
You will find plenty of drum hubs on ebay. Just search for bicycle drum brake and you should find plenty of results. A local shop can probably help you figure out the spoke length, and also true the wheel for you once you get it laced up. The hub will cost between $30 and $50, and the truing will cost $20 max. Truing takes a lot of practice, and I personally wouldn't run a front drum that I tried to true myself if it were my first time building a wheel. Now if you've built wheels before, then go for it.

Sikdeath

Jun 7, 2014
california
I ended up buying built with a dual brake, so it will brake the stock on the back as well as the drum in the front, i'm sure ill see a major difference when it comes in and my bike is all settled.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Is it a 24" wheel? If so, you can get a 24" front drum wheel complete from Husky Cycles or Worksman. Complete drum wheels come in 24" or 26". I'm not aware of any complete 20" wheels. If it's a 20" wheel, you can buy a drum hub on ebay and lace it in yourself. You'll need to calculate spoke length. There are a few good spoke length calculators online, you just have to search for one.
Someone makes a 20" front drum brake as i have one on a trike, i think Worksman had them or still makes them. My trike is a differnt brand, but prolley made by Worksman.................Curt