60's schwinn cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

dbscrapper

Oct 10, 2011
ontario
Just bought a 1960's schwinn cruiser in excellent condition for a $100.00
I was looking for my next chinagirl project and there it was with a forsale sign on it.
How do I date this bike?

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
To date a schwinn; Buy it shinny jewelry to wear they love that, wisper sweet affectionate things while you touch it softly they love that too, Then take it some where quiet & secluded where you can ride it untill it squeels, then I would suggest you lube it up & do it all over again untill your legs go numb, keep in mind it's in its 50's so be respectfull.

dbscrapper

Oct 10, 2011
ontario
this is my first try using photobucket, hope it works OK

/http://s1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/dbscrapper/?action=view&current=DSC03662.jpg

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
To date a schwinn; Buy it shinny jewelry to wear they love that, wisper sweet affectionate things while you touch it softly they love that too, Then take it some where quiet & secluded where you can ride it untill it squeels, then I would suggest you lube it up & do it all over again untill your legs go numb, keep in mind it's in its 50's so be respectfull.
LMAO... well done.

DB, the bike looks great! Are you going to use a shift kit on it?

dbscrapper

Oct 10, 2011
ontario
Maurtis,

Will it need one?

I'm new to the schwinn type bike so I'm open to suggestions.

Here is a run down on the bike, now that I got it strippped down The none schwinn parts are as follows.

Suntour shifter, shimanno pedals and sprocket, after market fenders and a few other things such as the brakes. So lots of work on this bike Maybe leave the 5 speed rear sprocket as is, re-lace both wheels to a bigger dia spoke, strip the frame and repaint to what ever suits my fance when I get it ready to paint.
Good thing I got it cheap, I think I'm looking at some $ to get to where I want it

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
The shift kit will allow you to use the motor with your multi-speed sprockets, instead of using a completely different drive sprocket. Not necessary by any means, but allows you to have torque and acceleration when you need it, or top speed.

SBP sells them.

If I were to do my cruiser build over again, I would definitely choose a bike with gears and a shift kit. In fact, if my Cranny frame collapses into a smoldering heap, I will do just that.

dbscrapper

Oct 10, 2011
ontario
Maurtis,

I had a look at the shift kit at SBP and looks like a great addition to my schwinn build. However being an old age pensioner and low income it will be a while before I order it. Anyway I will be busy restoring the bike first so time is on my side.

DB