Albion 3 speed Gearbox

GoldenMotor.com

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
This is a VERY rare British Albion 3 spd gearbox that was ordered and shipped from England. Very little is known about this gem's history. It was purchased for a board track racer build that I had to abandon for personal reasons. When it arrived I opened the box and was blown away at how good it looked. It is ready to help power that antique cycle take a motorbicycle to the next level. Talk about bad *ss!

I am not trying to profit from selling this but I would like to get back some of my investment.

Sorry for the crappy pic. If you'd like a specific shot I'd be happy to send it to you (please ask).

The 2nd pic shows the motor that it was going to be paired up. The frame/tank have since been sold.

Parts are easily attainable through ebay.UK or a us based British Motorcycle shop

I will also be listing this gearbox in a few forums. Feel free to give me an offer

Local pick up is encouraged. Will ship anywhere in the USA as long as buyer pays. :)

Pics are here!
http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=580

Attachments

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
What is the largest size and horsepower engine that you know of that has been used with one of these. I might like it for mt Gravely engined project.

nvredneck

Apr 17, 2012
Nevada
$250 for the gearbox and $575 for the Villiers 147cc motor
Hi,

I represent John Toomey the intended purchaser of the Albion that Rich spoke to you about. If you will contact me off forum we can finalize the transaction. Rich said he forwarded my message intended for you and mistakenly sent to him! Sorry for the confusion!

Bill

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
DONE!!! Thanks for the info guys, one last question, what did the shipping run you with the clutch assembly?

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
WOW, I only had to pay 180 including shipping :O I am soooo stoked! Thanks again for the info RobertRiley and ChopperDave! You guys just made my project complete(well minus the whole construction part lol)!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That is the fella that Silverbear and I bought our Sachs motors from and I bought a Villiers 98 cc motor and a Hurth motorcyle transmission which is a German transmission like the Albion.

Silverbear, Curt Fox and I saw the bike last year when we went to pick up the Sachs motors. The bike is brand new and was slated to go into production but the new Hondas came out and that stopped the plans.

The owner is a world recognized restorer of motor bikes and scooters and had many restorations in museums over the years.

Steve.

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
What a history! The Japanese bikes put the hurt on a lot of manufacturers, US & UK. Nothing all good or bad. They make good stuff.
I spent my working years in construction working with wood. Now I'm retired and working with metal. Anyone ever heard of a wooden gear box?
If I had a donor trans I'm sure a 3D scan of the parts and and a 3D printer to see if it is correct and BAM you have a plastic Albion!
Oh well, the shift lever is on the wrong side anyway

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Being a Triumph nut as a kid I was rather unimpressed with the Honda that a friend bought. Everyone knew that real motorcycles dripped oil when you parked. The Honda of course didn't and the worst part was it started every time, first time. Jap crap.
Arrogant little shnitz we were. Our first glimpse at perfection and we didn't know it.

Wood worker now doing metal work. Ya, I know about that. Retired antique furniture restorer trying to remember what they taught me in trade school more than 50 years ago about metal working.

It would be fun to make a copy of the Whizzer Albion. The idea that almost was.

Steve.

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I was out riding with a friend once. Me on my crotch rocket, him on his Triumph. Then we switched bikes. I poped his chain off in short order going for the brake and jambing it into 1st gear. Oh what a day!
You would think with a little Yankee ingenuity that someone (not me), would manufacture a tranny for our little bikes. You know a six speed with the shift lever on the left. It would take a lot of R&R for a niche market so I’m not holding my breath. I know there are some gear heads on this forum that could pull it off. Step up to the plate somebody, please.