Magneto problem? McCullouh weedwacker motor

GoldenMotor.com

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Thanks to Deacon for his CL ad recomendation, Yesterday I obtained a McCullouh weedwacker motor that will be perfect for my project. However I am not getting a spark at all. The magnetic contact's on the flywheel are nice and coated with some kind of resistant polymer, I removed and sanded both magneto contact's and used an index card to put back on. still no spark.
any Ideas? I am just flandering now. Help!! LoL

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay are you sure the magneto is dead. if you have it back installed did you check the plug in a dark room. I had one I thought had no spark. It acted like it had no spark. It wouldn't fire even when I poured gas in the plug hole. I swore it had no spark.

Then I pulled the plug, sat it on the cylinder head and pulled the cord. Sure as heck there was a tiny little spark. If you do that and there is no spark, i will send you a spare pickup, but check first. So far they all seem to be the same to me.

Also check your wiring for shorts. My plug wire had a rubbed spot. Check the kill switch as well. You might be getting a ground out there. If all that shows you with not pickup, let me know I have a spare or two around.

By far the most likely thing to go wrong is gummed up carb.

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I just checked in the dark, and then I got brave and went all in. well it aint sparkin, no jolt at all, LoL. I have removed the kill, and inspected all the wires. "made in Japan, pleasent suprise" it's a MAC 80, I did not realize McCulloch was so hard to find parts for? wow, only one item come's up on e-bay. How intercompatable is this motor, what brands, sizes and or makes are intercompatable. how many diffrent types , sizes and shapes of coils? I notice some are the same but holes in diffrent places.
I would appreaite that very much. I will cover the postage for ya.
let me know what you are looking for also, I have a desent junk pile, LOL

Jim...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well positioning of the holes might be a problem since mine comes from a craftsman brand. I have used it on a weedeater brand as well so I thought they were all the same. When I get out to the shop a little later I will take a picture of one and post it so you can look at it. If it will work, send me your address and I'll stick this one in an envelope for you.

If the size and position of the holes are right, I expect that you could take an electric drill and slot them (fancy term for wallow them out) for exact fit.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay here is the one I have....

the metal bracket measures apporx 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 inches...

You can see the shape. If that will work send me your snail mail and like in the god father you will owe me a favor.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If this one is all wrong send me a pic if you can, I have one more oddball mag that looks like it has a wing on it. NOt even sure where that one came from.

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I just checked and it looks good, will just need to drill one hole or poke out the aligning stud where my hole should be. I am also posting a pic of this thing so you can see. my buddy here says I can not remove the aligning stud with out it falling apart, I say this stud was only used during the manufaturing process and no longer serves a purpose. let me know what you think. Jim...

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It looks pretty close to me. I wouldn't knock anything out till I tried this one to see what needs to be done. Worst comes to worst hand on to everything till another one like it comes up. I think this came from a craftsman but to be honest If it gets close enough to get the charge from the mags it should work. I am going to send it on hope it works. Give me your snail mail in pm and I'll send it out on tuesday.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just hope you can use it. Good luck. by the way I pulled this off a working engine so if you can bolt it up, you should be good to go.

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
yo deacon that Mag came today, I don't get it I must be blind, but it's not even close. sucks to have wasted postage, I am gonna review the pic's we exchanged, beats me how they looked so simmilar, I am gonna go try another one here in a bit. also since I have not started adding the motor to my bike as of yet, I am gonna take some Befoe hand pic's for the forum. anyway, I still owe you one. Jimbo...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
but see we learned something. The parts from weed eater and ryobi will not fit a mac. Everything is a lesson and this one I learned without buying a mac. See how it all works out.

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Re: Magneto problem? new pic's of my Bike......

no doubt, we learn something new everyday. I am greatful for your help and your attention. I have attached 3 pic's of my ride pre power upgrade. I built this bike from a junk pile. I did spend money for the rear tire and brakes, but everything else was reclaimated from my pile. Without a motor I am rideing several miles a day and some days when I go to the beach I log over 8 miles. this bike is truely a pleasure to ride. I am 5 foot 11" and I got to hop on and off of this thing. it's a Big bike. I love it, but my dream is to put a power head on it to add to it's usefulness and practacality. I will Take some close up pic's when I get a better camera. theese pic's were take with my cell phone. I will also take some pic's of my small engine collection. Turns out the old blower motor I reclaimed is a Holelite, how do I put the recoil start back together assumeing I still have all the pieces?
I told you I was gonna be full of questions. LOL
Jimbo...

Attachments

greathounder

Jul 20, 2008
West Michigan
Another Mac bit the dust. My Mac weed wacker magnito died too. I found a parts place that had one for, hold on to your hat, $57 and change. I held on to the plug too. It wasn't exciting ;-) So I'll probably scrap it out for the metal and use the money for a new motor. But my wife said we need new insulated windows first. Good luck...Bill in Michigan

greathounder

Jul 20, 2008
West Michigan
I know, the carb is the problem on the Toro Motor I got. Sprayed it out and installed all the new parts the guy told me to, but it still don't want to run reliablely. Maybe I should just get a Stil wacker and rip the motor off it. Cheaper to just buy a kit. Have a greyt day..Bill

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think the easiest thing to do with a bad carb is to run a heck of a lot of carb cleaner through it. I don't know that I ever want to rebuild one.

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I know, the carb is the problem on the Toro Motor I got. Sprayed it out and installed all the new parts the guy told me to, but it still don't want to run reliablely. Maybe I should just get a Stil wacker and rip the motor off it. Cheaper to just buy a kit. Have a greyt day..Bill
I'm still thinkin I want to get a kit also, if for anything, to see someone eles's IDEA's how they would do it.. a product I have seen that I like is the dual pull brake lever. but what I was lookin for is a dual lever brake assembly so I can have 2 levers on one side. I also like the locking clutch lever that I have seen on e-bay.
as far as your Toro, I'm with Deacon, fresh gas and clean the gummed up carb crank it with out the spark plug first and it should crank right up.

Jimbo...

shmico120

Jun 11, 2009
canada
hi there
i would like to add head and tril lights and an horn to my 80cc motor bicycles
can you help me with the specs:
what is the wattage that the magnetto from the 80cc is giving
which kind of lights can i purchase (LED?)
how many can i use etc
the same applies to the horn
(most of the time the lihts will be off ( during day time) with a switch
thanks