backfiring and wont start

GoldenMotor.com

yummymushrooms

Jan 30, 2009
california
so the two days ago i was out cruising on my bike and i noticed that the clutch arm had begun to vibrate upward. i pushed it down once or twice but the next thing i knew it was gone and i had a dangling clutch cable connected to nothing, so i turned around and rode very slowly back retracing my path without letting the motor stop. i rode for maybe a mile or less like this before i spotted the piece and slid it back in. when i took off again i rode for a while and the motor started to backfire and make a loud putting sounds before it finally died. i stopped to check out the bike and see what was up, and after looking it over i tried to start it a couple more times. it eventually fired up and again backfired and died. then yesterday morning when i took it out it started right up and took me around the block before making more popping sounds and dying right when i got back to the house. im worried that maybe running it for a little while at low throttle stressed it out. it doesn't seem to like low speeds much.

now, moving back to the clutch issue (which i'm guessing is unrelated to the motor not startin).. when i took off the cover that shields the drive sprocket i noticed an empty hole that lines up with a groove on the clutch arm (see picture). it didn't appear to be threaded or anything inside, and i dont recall seeing a screw inside there before, but there must have been something in there to begin with.. so i ground down a thick piece of copper wire so that it was slightly tapered and i hammered that sucker in there tight. anyway, i think i got the clutch piece of the problem solved for now.
can anyone tell me what might have filled the hole originally? and more importantly, whyy wont it start at all now? i've checked all the wires and the spark plug, checked that all the bolts are tight (i managed to get one of the nuts on the head maybe 1/8 or 1/16 of a rotation tighter), i've opened up the carb and cleaned it out and checked it, the clip on the needle is in the second position from the top. now im wondering if maybe it could be an air leak and i needa replace a gasket or two.
any help is much appreciated
ps- please correct me if any of my motor terminology is wrong, (like clutch arm?)

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
most have a roll pin to keep the shaft in the sprocket cover. The copper will wear quickly because of the softness. When you have to replace it take the cover to a auto parts or hardware store to find a"ROLL PIN".
As for the backfiring sound like a ign. problem, I would start by changing the spark plug. You can't tell if a plug is good or bad by looks.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I've done it with bailing wire - it doesn't take much to get it to fit. And Al, that's actually a well deserved use of the function of JB Weld, don't feel bad about it.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It sounds like Ron took a old drill bit and ground it down on the shank on a grinder then use it for the pin. As you know drill bits are hardened steel and would make a good pin. I use a drill once to make a shear pin on an old Scott Atwater outboard when I ran across a sand bar at dusk.

astaritas

Aug 22, 2011
wandering nomad
Check to make sure the engine is in time. Backfire is a sign that its not. Here are some pictures about the magneto magnet timing. As for the pin I had one break on be..took a old drill and ground it to size. After installing I covered the end with ...I hate to say this but JB Weld.

Magnetto pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket
thank you for your photos, mine will start run then not run, going to empty the gas tank today and clean it out to rule out trash-water, also will check TDC and make sure, do you or any one know if i can use something other than the muffler gasket as a muffler gasket, broke down in springfield Or. with no dough.....

thanks Johnny