Good tire for a motorized mountain bike?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Shoppin' around fer tires for my latest project I came across this Kenda 26x1.95;

...and as I've a motorized mountain bike that I like to beat on, finding trails & hopping ditches - yet I've noticed just how badly the knobbly tires slow ya down & wear out altogether WAY too quickly, I thought it a pretty good compromise between street speed & dirt traction... apparently the cops think so too as ya can get the "police" version for twice as much lol... tho I haven't the slightest idea what the difference may be *shrug*

Standard: Kenda 26x1.95, (50-559), Kross Plus, Black, Skin, 65Psi, Tire | BikepartsUSA $12.33
Police: Kenda 26x1.95, Police, Black, Skin Wall, 40-65psi, Tire | BikepartsUSA $25.63

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Barely, I'm still real happy with the Kenda K-RAD's 2.30....they don't look so road friendly or low rolling resistance, but they sure do handle extremely well on asphalt. That's a great looking Kenda there and the price is certainly right. The police version prolly has bullet-proof kevlar casing or sidewalls, thus the extra cost. K-RAD's on the other hand ain't cheap.

Cheers!dnut

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice! Thanks for the review scotto, always good to hear of some alternatives (^) I already went ahead and ordered the Kross Plus "Police"... tho it may prove less than useful on a trike, I was curious lol

The K-RAD is a sweet lookin' skin tho, gonna hafta keep those in mind fer the ol' Schwinn - BTW, what rims are ya runnin'? They look beefy as heck!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nice! Thanks for the review scotto, always good to hear of some alternatives (^) I already went ahead and ordered the Kross Plus "Police"... tho it may prove less than useful on a trike, I was curious lol

The K-RAD is a sweet lookin' skin tho, gonna hafta keep those in mind fer the ol' Schwinn - BTW, what rims are ya runnin'? They look beefy as heck!
On the rear I'm running Weinmann DM-30, HD axle w/12g ss spokes.

On the front (the one pictured above) is a Swift ARRIV with 32 flatblade spokes....yeah it does seem up to the task, it's rather beefy indeed.

Next set of tires for my Black-n-Blue build will be the K-RAD's.....I love their round profile and glue sticking ability on the road, and decent traction off-road as well. Cheers!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Interesting & good ta hear ya like them - the reason I asked is the rim included w/my rear hub motor looks suspiciously like your Swift ARRIV (save the spoke pattern ofc), tho I'm sure it's just a knock off, it's still reassuring heh;

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That look's nice and strong.....cool looking beefy hub and spokes!

That Swift rim is really tall, that valve stem is over 2" long, no joke.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I hope so lol, it's HEAVY as heck what w/this inside it an' all (not my pic BTW) ;)

TBH, I'm not so sure about those spokes - think I'm gonna talk to the guy I have who builds my wheels for me (he's ossum and i r lazy heh) about relacing it, I'm havin' the fronts built anyway w/SS & those aren't stainless & they're only 14g. Earlier edition GM wheels had a bit of a rep for breakin' spokes and while they've improved (no more reports of damaged spokes)... with all that unsprung weight & side load in turns/skids (can't lean a trike), I figure better safe than sorry :D

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That armature looks like a little BMX wheel, I'll bet the unit is pretty heavy. The spokes look heavier guaged, prolly cuz they're so short. I just saw the pics of your trike.....that thing is wild! Looks like allota fun, and a challenging build..... cheers!

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks scotto, should be fun lol

I guess I strayed a lil off-topic here, can't seem ta help meself :oops:

Anyhoo - the Kenda I ordered is prolly not gonna stay on the trike for long (if at all, might go on the Schwinn), I was shoppin' around for tires & tryin' to find a matching/similar tread pattern to the 20"ers on the front (w/o much luck heh) when I saw that'un & figured I'd get it jus' ta see & post in case anyone is lookin' for somethin' similar ;)

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks scotto, should be fun lol

I guess I strayed a lil off-topic here, can't seem ta help meself :oops:

Anyhoo - the Kenda I ordered is prolly not gonna stay on the trike for long (if at all, might go on the Schwinn), I was shoppin' around for tires & tryin' to find a matching/similar tread pattern to the 20"ers on the front (w/o much luck heh) when I saw that'un & figured I'd get it jus' ta see & post in case anyone is lookin' for somethin' similar ;)
Are you lookin for one of these?
Kenda Kwest 26 x 1.5 - Bicycles and gear for every type of riding - Diamondback, Fox, Giant, Haro, Felt

And just so ya know, the K-Rad's also come in 20"......4 different widths

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
BTW folks, after receiving the above Kenda 26x1.95, "Police" version, near as I can tell the only added feature, the only difference between it and the 'Kross Plus' is it says "Police" in black letters on a reflective backing o_O

*shrug* lol, well I hadta see anyway & it's nufin' a lil bit of black paint marker can't fix :p

It does seem a fine tire for what it is, $12 for the Kross Plus ain't bad at'll :D

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I'm a big fan of Specialized bicycle companys "hemisphere"(fat chevron tred) or "nimbus"(skinny semi slick) Kevlar reinforced tires with the thick thorn proof tubes to stabilize the tire carcass.
They also make Kevlar knobbies for those of us with "dirty" minds.
F**K IT! Ride on!
BBB.