Recoil, back into the recoil...

GoldenMotor.com

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
HI, thanks for your interest scotto, hope someone gets the benefit of my findings. i should have mentioned, that people shoud wear safety goggles or glasses. as the spring jumped out on me three times, i put on some safety goggles before the last jump out. Man it flys. someone else might not be so lucky.

OK, not sure about the harbour frieight engine, we don,t have this store in the uk, wish we had, seem to have some good, reaonably priced goods, i have seen a few vids on youtube people using these engines, they are pretty silent and powerful. without getting my hands on the recoil peice, i can,t see how to fix or suggest anything, if it inploded, did you mean the plastic body, broke, or alloy. can you get the peices together roughly to see how things work. ie a bit of glue temporily. so you can see what needs to be repaired or beefed up. have a look on youtube and state the problem, and see what comes up. there are a lot of recoil fixes. but none for the huasheng, only mine.I will search and see what i can find out. sorry about spelling mistakes. my computer jumps all
over the place, and puts what IT wants to put. like to find a fix for this. bye

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
My original R S rope broke at 6 months. I had it orientated forward so the handle wouldn't interfere with peddling - but that makes it vulnerable to rope wear rubbing against the plastic housing. So I really blame the starter too much.

The Honda replacement, that I thought was going to be of better quality, lasted about a month and then the outside plastic housing cracked which allowed the spring to escape inside. The Honda starter is lighter in weight and the plastic is 'softer' than the original. I would recommend epoxying some reinforcement on the outside center case if anyone has one these.

I ended up buying 2 more starters from Bikeberry on a special they had. 15 bucks each and shipping was only about 7 dollars.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
HI, thanks for your interest scotto, hope someone gets the benefit of my findings. i should have mentioned, that people shoud wear safety goggles or glasses. as the spring jumped out on me three times, i put on some safety goggles before the last jump out. Man it flys. someone else might not be so lucky.

OK, not sure about the harbour frieight engine, we don,t have this store in the uk, wish we had, seem to have some good, reaonably priced goods, i have seen a few vids on youtube people using these engines, they are pretty silent and powerful. without getting my hands on the recoil peice, i can,t see how to fix or suggest anything, if it inploded, did you mean the plastic body, broke, or alloy. can you get the peices together roughly to see how things work. ie a bit of glue temporily. so you can see what needs to be repaired or beefed up. have a look on youtube and state the problem, and see what comes up. there are a lot of recoil fixes. but none for the huasheng, only mine.I will search and see what i can find out. sorry about spelling mistakes. my computer jumps all
over the place, and puts what IT wants to put. like to find a fix for this. bye
Just so ya know, I've fixed many a recoil starter in my days and the recoil starter on my 212cc HF virtually imploded and is beyond repair. Just thought I'd throw you a curve ball if ya had one of these sittin around and had nuthin better to do. Cheers mate!

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
morning fugi93, well its morning here. i also orientated my recoil starter forward, mainly so i can start the engine without having to get off the bike, i can now start the bike on the move, as a hill appears i start the engine, much to the amusement of onlookers. but the drawback is the angle of attack, now at 90 degrees. but i shamfered the plastic to make a smoother exit. my rope lasted 2 years, as it was, so don,t expect a further problem, as you pointed out partly our fault.
BUT but moving the spring coil one hole position clockwise was a very big help. I am surprised very few have thought of this, But as i said before, if you use stainless cable it will or should elimate rope breaks, but now it might saw through the guide thimble, i am working on this, ie to make a small pulley wheel for the cable or rope to pull out at 90 deg. without chaff. what we need is the recoil body redesigned so it pulls straight up vertically, that would solve all our problems. bye.