Gx160

GoldenMotor.com

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
Might be taking the plunge.. These motors can be had for 80 dollars! Remove governor, better exhaust, air filter, valve springs and you have a 6k+ rpm fast machine.

Ill take a cruiser frame and do a bottom loop, vintage forks, and widened crank arms. I want to mount it vertically also.

What's a good transmission for these? With above mods and good gearbox is it capable of 50?
brnot

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
As old as this post is, I don't know if you've done anything yet, but I have a small amount of information on these engines. I have a Gx160 on my bike and with no mods beyond no governor, I am capable of 45mph; maybe able to do better with a different pulley I have a single speed belt drive. It goes from the engine to the rear wheel with a belt tensioner pedal. If you want, I could figure out what the ratio is to run it at that speed.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
You don't need gears with this motor, from our experience a total reduction of about 12:1 on a street bike is a pretty good starting point. Several ways to get to that magic ratio. If you are thinking of building with a Honda GX, you better build a platform that can handle the power/torque as these motors are not toys.

A good build thread for the GX160:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40482

Be safe. Build safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: chainmaker