New engines

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was in our local B&Q (DYI/builders merchants) the other day, and had a look at the petrol strimmers. £80 for a 26cc, brand new. I compared this to the £69 for an unnamed Chinese scooter engine. I think If I were buying a new motor, I'd go and get something from B&Q, consumer durables are expected to work straight out of the box, and are sold with a guarantee for the job, rather than a general disclaimer saying don't bother us, we know they're krap.

Any thoughts, ladies & gentlemen?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can get much better engines than our China girls but it is hard to find one that is easier to install in the frame. I guess the 49cc Honda installs just as easily with the right kit.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is where I start repeating the question, is there a conversion kit for the most common varieties? Say a clutch, 90 degree drive and reduction gear in one package, to keep the width down.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Might help. The KT-18 i have is the same bolt pattern as my old KS Bike Machine motor,witch is the same pattern as a pocket bike engine. So maybe that would be a option for your motor. And i think the pocket bike parts will fit a Honda GX 50. But all said and done it would depend on shaft size also.............Curt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have never seen a standard kit for those type engines, except the friction kits or rear rack mounts. Those kits still require that you already have the clutch.
Perhaps the members that have frame mounted such engines could come up with a standard list, or bill of materials of what is needed to mount (no-weld) one of these common engines in a bicycle frame to include the clutch and tranny/jack shaft. The biggest variable would be the engine output shaft diameter and whether the shaft is tapered, so the bill of materials would need to provide options for those contingencies.