Too many bikes and motors?

GoldenMotor.com

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Is there such a thing? Will anyone here admit they have too many?

I have about 5 or 6 bikes. My Schwinn Continentals include the '73 that has been motorized since 2008 (my only motorized bicycle so far). The '76 is like a Cadillac; super-sweet paint job, lots of chrome and a sturdy rack for the thirty-pack. There's an all original orange Conti, another '73 I think, that is complete but I never ride it. And there's another couple that are basically just spare parts bikes. But this year I am going to make another motorized bicycle out of those parts. You gotta have a spare motorized bicycle. When one is down for maintenance, trekking around on only leg-power really gets old fast.

Now I've got 3 motors. A 25cc Homelite that's on the bike now. All of 2012 I ran a 28cc McCulloch. It's even stronger, but the bike is setup better for the Homie, so after one year testing the Mac, I went back to Homelite.

So I had a Homelite powered bike and an extra Mac motor. Then at a garage sale, the guy had 2 weed wackers; a Stihl and an Echo tagged $20 each. From what I've read, those are both top-grade brands. The Stihl came with extra stuff; brush cutter blades - big wide handles for brush cutting, etc. I didn't know what size either motor was, but I got the pair for 25 bucks. Both were pretty used and dirty and not ready to run (no fuel), but they were complete, not seized - good compression sound and feel - carbs have idle adjustment screws.

The Stihl ran great as soon as I got home and gave it the once-over. But it's a model FS66 and apparently only 19.5 cc. It might have as much power as a 25cc Homie, but I wouldn't bother trying it on a bike.

Couldn't see any model/serial nums on the Echo, and it wouldn't run unless I dripped fuel straight into the carb. I just recently found out that it's a SRM-3100. A 31cc motor - so I took the Walbro carb apart and cleaned it all out. Now it runs like a top.

Now with three good motors and twice as many bikes, that's enough right? I shouldn't even look twice at another bike or motor that might make a great motorized bicycle. Right?

Is this hobby habit-forming?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
To answer your question, yes, if garage space is a consideration. "Too many" is when you can't move around the garage and have to step sideways to get between bikes.
That's the reason I only have what I have and can't/won't build another one. :)

Tom

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
That's the reason I only have what I have and can't/won't build another one.
Yeah, they do take up space. Luckily I've got a basement and try to pack the bikes and parts tightly.

Now I've gotta ask... About how many is "have what I have"? I'm just curious; you don't have to admit to your addiction. This ain't Motorbikeaholics Anonymous.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
To answer your question, yes, if garage space is a consideration. "Too many" is when you can't move around the garage and have to step sideways to get between bikes.
That's the reason I only have what I have and can't/won't build another one. :)

Tom
At least not untill the next just got to have just right bike comes along...LOL.........Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeah, they do take up space. Luckily I've got a basement and try to pack the bikes and parts tightly.

Now I've gotta ask... About how many is "have what I have"? I'm just curious; you don't have to admit to your addiction. This ain't Motorbikeaholics Anonymous.
Currently, I have four bikes. I was up to seven at one point but got smart and sold off a few. I kept my favorites.

The problem is they share the garage with a couple of other hobbies, my wife's car and other stuff that seems to find its way into the space. I have a basement too but carrying a motorized bicycle up the stairs doesn't sound like fun :)

Tom

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
carrying a motorized bicycle up the stairs doesn't sound like fun
That's no lie! It sounds like you have experienced this.

I developed a system for my bikes. Left hand on handlebar. Right hand on chainstay. Usually wear a work glove on right hand because your knees hit the pedals then the spokes hit your knuckles. SuperFun.

There's a big difference between a 30 lb bike and a 60 lb bike.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
a dam, your location, Momence, IL reminds me of Suddenly, CA.

Now if anyone remembers that I'll have an idea of your age. :)

Tom

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Apparently I have 'too many bikes'.
But I love them all can't part with any of them and keep bringing home more wrecks, I may have an addiction!
I have a shipping container to hide a few in, but that's been getting crowded, and there is something dead in there. So I pulled a few out this morning to get a tally.
About 20 off 'em if you start counting kids bikes, pocket bikes, wrecks ect.
But have been considering getting another container to dedicate to my bikes.
Needless to say I spend a lot more time working on bikes than riding.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I was going to build a $20k 'workshop' here, but can get a container for $2500!
Besides I have Two 'workshops' at my disposal through work, But with a Shipping Container, I would have one wall, with hooks welded to hang my bikes two high.
With powered bikes below and unpowered above. A corner for Pocket bikes down the back, and a 20ft wall of bench, shelf, spare parts and memorabilia.
It's not too far away! As I have carpentry to do also and don't like mixing saw dust and motors.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
From someone who knows ....

there is no such thing as too much for something you are into
as regards motorized bicycles /bikes etc. an angle grinder or reciprocating saw can reduce a pyramid of bicycles/engines to an easily handled /loaded pile of parts, scrap metal, or recycleable $

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
There are businesses in South San Francisco and Oakland California that use shipping containers for rentals to people so that have a work area. I just don't like being inside a small a space with an angle grinder or welder, but if they have a common open area indoors or outdoors that could be alright.

There are also warehouses that are used as business to rent out spaces that have over head cranes and rent by square foot a month. If I could afford it that would be nice, but I do without for now.

One which I did rent from for a short while, I got there newsletter email about various things. There is a petition to get the metal once the Eastern span of the Oakland Bay Bridge is dismantled, as the new section has been built for the last few months. The metal rather that sending it out of the area, keep it a low cost to artist in the area. Imagine explaining frame for vehicle Id, it's from the Bay Bridge!

MT