NOTICE: Death Or Serious Injury Beware, New Motor Bicyclist

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Crazy Horse want to share an experience I hope no one here especially any new motor bicyclist makes this mistake.

I saw an ad in the Wash, D.C. crug'slist that said motorized bicycles $450.00 so I contacted the guy turns out he's close by where I live. I went to look at his bikes he had 4 huffy beach cruisers a purple one , blue one , yellow one , & one black bike for sell.

I said very nice bikes and no lie the were good looking bikes, after complimenting him he asked me if I would like to ride one I said let me look at them a little more closely.

While inspecting his builds I found some defects, one was the rear axel was loose suggested to him maybe you might want to tighten up the inner bolts on the axel he said wow thanks I'll do that.

I then continued inspecting them and yes you might guess what found next that could cause death or serious injury he used the original wheels that came with the bikes. These wheels are not strong enough for motorizing!

I said I think you might want to change these wheels to heavy duty one's he said why, I then pointed out the 4 broken spokes on the bike I was about to ride. OUCH!

So I then, this guy's getting a lil perturbed at me for inspecting his bikes but hey its my life, he said you see any other problems with my bikes I said yes not to offend you but your motor mount studs are about to snap & your idler / chain tensioner is a little to loose.

I told him I could help him if he likes he asked me to leave.

Why he reacted this way was no surprise to me, I was very polite and complimented him on his builds before I ever pointed out his potential accidents waiting to happen.

I even offered to help him if he wanted to make those bikes a little bit safer but he said he knew what he was doing and didn't need any suggestions or help with his bikes.

I still offered my help to him and gave him my number, who knows maybe when he cools down a lil bit he might call me for some guidance.

If someone wants to build a motorized bike thats awesome but for your own sake do some research on how to build a motorized bicycle don't just go and buy something and think you are safe to ride off into the sunset with a lil research it could help you save your life not to mention the fact that you'd be in a better position to enjoy your new found hobby if you will.

So people what ever you do make sure you inspect your bikes before you ride them cause it could be the last time you do!!!

Peace Crazy Horse has spoken the truth!!!

EZMOTORBIKE DEALER
Rockville, Maryland

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have worked on two bikes that someone has bought off craigslist. Both were just slapped together and unsafe to ride which is why I was working on them.

You could tell who ever assembled them did it just to try to make a quick dollar and had no ideal what they were doing. I found out later that both bikes came from the same guy. When I saw him selling another bike on craigslist I just had to let him know the mistakes he had done. He did not believe me until I e- mailed pics of me working on his bikes and re-doing what he had done.

So far he has not been back on craigslist, at least he gave me two good customers that will now bring there bike to me to work on.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I built one china kit and I sold it on craigs list. I used the standard wheels and rode it quite a long time. I sold it because I really was tired of the bike and wanted to do something else. I lost money on it as I sold it for 175 but I enjoyed it while I had it.

I don't build them for sell or I would worry about the liability things. The reason I never built them for money was the customers not the safety issues. I could see some dude running pure gas in it and saying the motor was defective from day one.

Good that you showed him the error of his ways.,

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool CH. You did all of us and most importantly, the next rider a great service.

(I have to agree with Deacon. I have never used any thing but cheap wheels and have 1,000s of miles on em and never broken a spoke or any trouble aside from needing some TLC. I would/should actually try a good set.)

One bad test ride, God forbid some one gets hurt and bamm. All over the news with the dangers of MBs.

Thanks CH!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Great post Crazy horse. People could die over some guy's pride - wouldn't be the first time. I think you did a real service.

The only thing I can add is about once a week or so we get a call from a person going into the motoredbike building and selling business..........most of the time they never come through and buy even one Shifter Kit from us, but often I wonder..........I just wonder just how much knowledge they have.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
People don't think enough about how dangerous these bikes can be. Since it is "just a bicycle". I didn't read the forums before I put mine together. I was way to excited to get building... But I work on cars, boats, etc so for the most part I know what I'm doing with engines and mechanics. And a bunch of the stuff included in the kit seemed inadequate to me.
But you get these people who don't have a clue about anything mechanical building a motorcycle and driving it around at 30mph. Bikes aren't meant to go that fast for hours on end. First thing I did was rebuild my wheels, new bearings and grease. At the end of the month it is all coming apart again for a re-greasing.
Ride safe and WEAR A HELMET!!!

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Kimosobee man he end up in heap big trouble with spokes up his seat upside down side of road----some guys are just too proud--my friend showed me i had not noticed a hole in the frame that the chain was busy cutting---always be open you may learn something

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
I kinda have to agree with the folks who tell the other folks looking for ways to break 50 with these Happy Times "Go buy a REAL motorcycle".
I'm perfectly content to blubber along at around 15-20 MPH on mine, replaced all the mounting bolts with Grade 8.8 hardware, loctite, lock nuts, and check for tightness before every ride.
And I'm always looking for tips on how to "enhance my China Girl riding experience" as it were. Lots of good tips and advice here, thanks, guys!