cycling safety vest

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Looks neat - two problems:

1) The rear image needs to be up higher on the vest or keep the biker flasher there and put some flashing REDS by the shoulders.

2) His bike didn't have an engine.:p

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The vest you really need for safety would be a flack jacket to absorb those rocks and sticks when you fall or get hit by a car. Like the bull riders or quarter backs in the nfl wear. Blaze orange of course

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Sounds like try outs for jackass. Who wants their private parts set on fire?rotfl
Then get slamed into the bushes to test out the flack jacket.:confused:
Norman

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have a friend who has a wind powered helmet light. It works great, it has 8 bright flashing Led light's.
My friend said he got his from WhitehorseGear.com for $30.00

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Heck I bought a bright orange vest to wear. had it made into a pull over then put it somewhere so I wouldn't forget. Of course I have no idea where i put it since I NEVER WORE it

steve's bike

Apr 26, 2008
Omaha Nebraska
that's something I may need. but I dont like the flashing on the front.
yeah I like the flashing bike on the back.
but I dont ride much in the dark..

maybe wear my orange vest that I use for hunting in day time?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Friends do the darndest things :)

I was telling a buddy of mine about my upcoming ride. He kept telling me how crazy I am to ride a bike with traffic and how unsafe it is.

I guess he's a little worried because he showed up today with a gift. He bought me a safety vest, it's kinda nice to have friends that care about your safety.

At first I did not think I could wear it because I use a back pack, but I tried it on and it will fit over my back pack. I guess I will wear it, any little thing to help you get noticed cannot be a bad thing. And I don't want him to find out that I did not use it.

Thank You Eduardo, I will use it everytime I ride.

BTW...When will you become a member? We got to get you a MB too. We can keep it at my house and your wife never has to know about it. I dont know what you did to my MB but it's making funny noise's now rotfl I pulled my clutch cover off and all that clutch dust thats in there I can see I need to teach how to use the clutch rotfl

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Friends do the darndest things :)

I was telling a buddy of mine about my upcoming ride. He kept telling me how crazy I am to ride a bike with traffic and how unsafe it is.

I guess he's a little worried because he showed up today with a gift. He bought me a safety vest, it's kinda nice to have friends that care about your safety.

At first I did not think I could wear it because I use a back pack, but I tried it on and it will fit over my back pack. I guess I will wear it, any little thing to help you get noticed cannot be a bad thing. And I don't want him to find out that I did not use it.

Thank You Eduardo, I will use it everytime I ride.

BTW...When will you become a member? We got to get you a MB too. We can keep it at my house and your wife never has to know about it. I dont know what you did to my MB but it's making funny noise's now rotfl I pulled my clutch cover off and all that clutch dust thats in there I can see I need to teach how to use the clutch rotfl
Thats great Fair. A good friend is worth and tantamount to a good life! Have to be a good guy to have a friend like that.

Really like the lighted vest! Can we make one that says "if you can read this, please don't kill me"? LOL

bikebum1975

Aug 18, 2008
Connecticut
I use a lime green saftey vest at night when I ride I don't care for wearing them much but the roads around here are dark at night. Sure we have lights on some roads but they are at times a half mile apart. But I don't wear it during the day and I always ride with traffic never had any issues well major ones other than some idiot cutting me off but that only happened a couple of time. Like you said nice to have friends that look out for you

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Living in a AirForce town has its advantages such as cheap afordable Military surplus reflective sashes, flight suits, helmets, and flight line gloves. Theirs a rather nice surplus store about 15 minutes away called Camouflage Clothing, Cold Weather Gear, Dell Computers, Hp Computers and Compaq Computers at Army Surplus Sales

These guys are rather friendly, and kick ass compared to a few other "local" shops that believe their to good to sell to the general public. About a few weeks ago they offered to sell me a rather cheap english built Diesel engine i was planning on purchasing to build a onboard bio-diesel generator for my up and coming Electric Velomobile project.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
These guys are rather friendly, and kick ass compared to a few other "local" shops that believe their to good to sell to the general public. About a few weeks ago they offered to sell me a rather cheap english built Diesel engine i was planning on purchasing to build a onboard bio-diesel generator for my up and coming Electric Velomobile project.
That sounds very cool. Will you be starting a thread on on your project? Think many would enjoy it. Know I would.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Safety Wear

Today i purchased a t shirt that has super high visibility. It is like those on construction sites with silver and red stripes it is bright yellow and visible for about half a mile. Many drivers say they cant see you --i will now get better lighting--i have a flashing white light on my helmet and a flashing rear light--i think safety and visibility are important!.wee.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Re: Safety Wear

yes, safety first... don't forget to wear a helmet... I have a flashing seat light, flashing back pack cover, bicygnals, ankle reflectors, and pedalite. I also have a high visibility rain wear colored yellow. I also have bar end lights...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
For the past several weeks on my daily commute I have been experimenting with wearing a safety vest and not wearing one.

The difference I have noticed wearing the vest is vehicles give you plenty of space when passing you. In AZ you have to pass a cyclist with three feet or more. When wearing the vest vehicle seem to obey this law more often then without it.

Also notice that with wearing the safety reflective vest vehicles tend less to try to pass me then make a right turn. With the vest they seem to slow down and follow me until I have passed the entrance to there turn. Without the vest, more often cars shoot in front of me in the bike lane to make there turn.

All in all I do notice a difference between wearing a safety vest and not. Drivers do notice you more and they also seem a little more courteous.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i wear an orange safety vest too, it's dark on the way to work, white light in front and flashing red light in rear. people do see it. when i wear a back pack i just put the vest on the back pack.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool to know Dave, thanks. I say this over and over. A big helmet has a similar effect. Subtle clue your not on a regular bicycle. On very rare rides I take with out wearing one, I literally notice the difference how other traffic behaves.

I wanna make a vest with the "under 35 MPH" symbol with lettering saying, If you can read this, please don't kill me"

Or, "my other car is a car"

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
We had a couple weeks of on-off nasty rain here, so I've been using a rainjacket with bright yellow chest and shoulders. In the past few weeks I've been wearing it (raining or not, it cuts through the wind nice :D ) I've noticed many vehicles giving me more room. Heck if I had a white helmet, I might get mistaken for some hot-rod bicycle cop lol

Might look funny to some people, but I'll take it if it cuts down the chance of being splattered!

Attachments

Last edited: