Sun Recumbent Eletric Shifting Race Trike

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This should be a fun custom build.
This http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11617617.html recumbent trike...

With a kick ass 960W shifter system on it.

Heck just the trike was $1849 delivered and it it's pretty cool.
A shock in the middle, cantered back wheels, big fat Hookworm tires, and a frame meant to to stay stable and take abuse.

It's getting a system like this.

Motor in front tied into the pedals, and big triangle battery in back that won't interfere with a couple grocery bag baskets in back or the seat placement or angle.

I know already I have to modify the vertical 'handlebars' to horizontal at the hands but no biggie, I love this kind of stuff, the customer agrees, and has a wallet.

It will be a couple weeks before get all the parts, but I have been paid and thinking about how cool I can make this awesome ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
All wrapped up and picked up.
It turned out pretty cool I think ;-}

Considering the amount of electrical wiring involved on this machine I think we did a pretty good job of hiding it.

More on the Electrical in the next post...

Save

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The Electrical part of the build...

The SickBikeParts Keylock throttle displays the present voltage when you turn the trike on.

I like to charge these batteries to ~57V and the charger has 3 50+V voltages to choose from.

Note the push button at the end of the grip to activate a turn signal.
Had this been done the red light in the dash would blink if either blinker were on.

For now the left dash switch turns on every rear light except the license plate on in the 'Afterburner' tail light and it's bright!

The dashboard analyzer has 3 modes, one not pictured is a real time analyzer of what is being used for trouble shooting, the main display shows current speed, total miles, and a 'fuel gauge' for a guess at how much power you have left.

I have the front light switch on so you see that too.
We have 1.3 miles on it since we hooked that up yesterday.

The other useful mode is like a log...

In the bottom left you can see Joe got to it 39.1 MPH, and next to it that this trike can produce 2,300 Watts on demand.

At those speeds it feels like an amusement park ride.
Running around @~20MPH will feel like 30mph, and with the gears and easy on throttle last you a couple days before recharging.
Save

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just some other info...

Pretty much everything for this build I got from Sick Bikes Parts here...
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=6jdptdic82moj03qag44h32q12

The battery and charger I got from EM3ev.
http://em3ev.com/store/

I can't recall where I found the ~70V DC-DC to 12V Converter, but it was like ~$30.
The customer required a 12V 'lighter' outlet for his re-breather unit so I went ahead and based the lighting on 12V, this is the converter and weather proof outlet mounted early in the build.

It worked out well ;-}

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Very nice job. Clean wire management. I like the afterburner turn signals, is that a 12v part made for motorcycles? What re-breather unit, like for scuba diving, why on the trike?

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Very nice job. Clean wire management.
I like the afterburner turn signals, is that a 12v part made for motorcycles? What re-breather unit, like for scuba diving, why on the trike?
Thanks, yes, the Afterburner light is for a Yamaha.
The re-breather unit is a portable unit for those with COPD so they don't have to carry an oxygen bottle.

Its just a little backpack unit but not much battery life, the trike lighter plug-in is so it will run without draining the units battery just like when he is riding in a car.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Probably means no handlebars. This is one of the coolest e trikes i have seen . I like the worksman pav stretch also. This one has better steering but costs way more. You did an amazing job on the custom control setup.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Probably means no handlebars. This is one of the coolest e trikes i have seen . I like the worksman pav stretch also. This one has better steering but costs way more. You did an amazing job on the custom control setup.
Thanks, it was a fun build and the customer loves it ;-}