conflicted on wheels

GoldenMotor.com

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
so I just dont know what wheels to get for my gt2a frame. I am considering using a 29er wheel. It will fit, but I also would like to use 3 inch wheels. Its just going to make it. Has anyone here every built a gt2a frame with 29x3 inch wheels? what problems did has anyone run into. 26 inch wheels are a dime a dozen and I want to try somthing new. I also know that I would have to remove the brake bosses to do it. Its not a problem, because I plan on using disc brakes on it.

I also have to ask, on the gta 150 would a 4.5 inch wheel fit on that frame?

I would really like to know what would be the largest wheels on both these frames.

John

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
29er wheels make for a better ride, more top end speed, and they go over larger bumps easier. but a 26 inch wheel will have around 12% more low end torque.
if you live in a flat area, go for the 29er wheels. if you plan to ride hills too, 26" wheels would be better.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I just built 2 gt2a bikes and have 26 x 2.25 wide tread type tires and the chain is within 1/8 inch from the tire. So get confirmation from someone who has used 3 inch tires before on a gt2a prior to spending the money on wide rubber and rims. No doubt it can be done with some offsetting of the engine, etc. Are you planning on a 2 or 4 stroke? I really doubt it would be visually all that different 26 or 29 /700 mm. There are endless things you can do to visually set your gt2a build apart from anyone's using accent colors and graphics or the use of chrome or black, tire color, fenders or lack of, solid mag wheels or spoked, wheel color, handle bar flipping, grips, pedal style, frame color, engine finishes, heads, on and on. Yea 3 inch wide tires would be awesome but might be a PITA,. Also remember the taller the tire the narrower they will appear to look. Keep us posted on your build.

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
Thanks ziptie. I forgot about the chain. Now I have to think about this a bit. Is your build driven from the right side or the left? I am thinking about putting a jakeshaft and so it will be driven from the right side. Do you still think this could purpose a problem? Have you ever built up a gta 150? ZipTie, can I see a picture of the clearance on your bike?

I have also looked at gasnet wheels, however I heard some bad things about them. Those mag wheels look nice, though. I also heard that the ride was stiff and can be brittle if a large enough hole comes up unexpected. The 12gauge wheels also look super strong, I am just not a drum brake kinda person .

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I hear ya. I wouldn't buy those either at this point. I would go for disc brakes first choice. I wouldn't know where to look though. Are you sure 29x3 would fir that frame? might be a little too big? Have you actually seen 29" wheels on one? because 26" looked to me pretty much about as big as that frame would take. Are they making them bigger now?

Last edited:

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Is that the newer version of the gt2 frame? If so there should be no problems fitting 26 x 3 wheels on there as well disc brakes as that frame is wider in the rear.
I have the older gt2as frame and have 24 x 2.5 tires on mine and it would be close with 26in, the reason i went 24in. rims i used alex dx32 which are 1 1/2 in wide theres some pics in my thread under cruisers , skyhawk gt2a. im waiting on the frame to return from powder coating now and will be updating with assembly hopefully soon.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Its a standard left hand drive. The chain clearance is shown in the pict. The distance from the tire is pretty fixed unless you change the offset of the motor or use a jackshaft kit. I have plenty room for a disc brake set up on this yellow Gt2a new frame. That goes on the other side of the rear chain sprocket. But no clearance for a 3 inch tire or even a 2.5 on a standard set up with a 2 stroke. Its credit card thickness almost now on these 26 x 2.25 tires. I am certainly not a chain expert so I only want to deal with the pedal chain and drive chain for now.
Side note: Speaking of chains, we installed a spring tensioner on my sons Cranbrook build and wow it sure made a difference in the parasitic chain drag. Yep it slacks up a bit during bump starts but should be better than a fixed. Ill be adding them to my 2 GT2as.
I will be adding a disc brake to the rear on the yellow one because I am not about to grind the brake bosses off. I have no experience with the Gt150s. The advantage with a mag wheel is they would be true and sprocket just bolts right up. I just think they look too contemporary. I'm sick with the worst flu ever, so if my letter is messed up ill blame it on the Nyquil. FYI ebay has some grubee skyhawk mag wheels listed, or they did a while ago.

Attachments

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
Thanks for the info guys, but I learned today that its not going to work. The wheel will fit, the hub will fit, the chain wont rub on the frame, however I cant get an IGH that has 64 holes on it. I was hoping to use the Surley Rabit Hole, but its just not going to work, because of the spoke holes.

The search continues