Playing With Some Designs

GoldenMotor.com

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Just playing with P-Shop this morning.

Dual 1000W set up with some sturdy lipos in the padded, reinforced and hinged carrier
between the two frame rails. All in a low-seat frame.

Still has too many bugs. Like, raising the rear rack, probably adding another strut for the rack,
brake calipers and levers front and back, covers for the wire exits from the controllers, etc.

Too bad it's not quite so easy in real life.

Now, if I could only weld....And had my budget together.

And, and and.....

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Really a nicely laid out bike!

I'm still unsure why two hubs though? Unless you are trying to climb something like a mountain goat/AWD? Doubles the needs/weight of everything with out adding much in the way of speed if that's important.

Of course we all just want to do something to see how it works out, that's the cool part about this hobby! Not trying to dissuade you just asking questions.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Really a nicely laid out bike!

I'm still unsure why two hubs though? Unless you are trying to climb something like a mountain goat/AWD? Doubles the needs/weight of everything with out adding much in the way of speed if that's important.

Of course we all just want to do something to see how it works out, that's the cool part about this hobby! Not trying to dissuade you just asking questions.

Right.

No REAL GOOD logistical reasons for the two hubs. Except, as much as I keep trying,
I still weigh too much. And much more than the average 5'-8" dude.

The next reason for the two is symmetry of design...or maybe that changes places with,
"wonder how it will work out", as you suggest.

Fourth, butt the lesser of the reasons, is that the hub's a good place to hang a disk for
front and rear brakes.

If it's a flop, then I figure I can go back to one driving hub and there'd be another
system available for the *next* build.

brnot

Last edited:

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
What voltage/wattage hubs?
I was going with the 100W/48v set up (and same battery set up) have on the other bike now.

KC, you are correct. Those batteries require 7.5" length along a frame tube.... which allows for wiring,
in the 2.5" height and 3.5 in width.

Using a small framed bike in the garage for scale (has a 4-stroke motor in it), I get 13" across the
(lower) top rail.

Once again, logistics trump design.

The batteries, sitting side-by-side in twos, and allowing for mounting brackets and smooth wiring, require
the whole 13" x 9.5 usable. That's seat post frame inside dim to a level virtual bottom rai ( making
a trapazoid).

I think those batteries will stick out too far from the seat rail/front down rail in that frame configuration.

If not, the way that one in the sketch is set up, there would be room for two controllers between the upper
and lower top rails. A little over 7l x 3.75w x 1.75h (including with room for mounts and wiring "caps").

But, the way to do it, I think, is look for a more stretched frame. And, of course, I always use the *real*
hard parts that I'm committed to, and then start the fabrication of the ones I'm not.

The design is just a writing down of my initial thoughts. They get lost so easily, you know.

In fact, as you point out, the scale of the first design is way off.

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Your frame resembles the "Schwinn Heavy Duty" that I see on craigslist occasionally.
The Schwinn Heavy Duty frame with a layback seat post could come very close to duplicating the riding position in your composition.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Your frame resembles the "Schwinn Heavy Duty" that I see on craigslist occasionally.
The Schwinn Heavy Duty frame with a layback seat post could come very close to duplicating the riding position in your composition.
Excellent.

I didn't take the time to match it up exactly. But check this out.
I really appreciate the tip.

I'll look for one.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...Dual 1000W set up with some sturdy lipos in the padded, reinforced and hinged carrier
between the two frame rails. All in a low-seat frame.
~1KW is a good range for powering an MB on par with a 2-stroke direct drive.

But that dual 1KW must be the controllers max.
Watts= Voltage * Current.
To deliver you need a battery capable of 20 AH of current.

No REAL GOOD logistical reasons for the two hubs. Except I weigh too much.

The next reason for the two is symmetry of design...or maybe that changes places with,
"wonder how it will work out", as you suggest.
Larger mass takes more force to get it going, but once it's going it doesn't take much keep it going, it's using all the force wisely before you need to exert opposite force (braking) to stop it.

The problem I have with 2 wheel drive systems on an MB come from my 4-wheel days, if your drive wheels grip you don't need it.

Now I can see a front e-hub being a fantastic boost to direct drive 2-strokes to do the pedaling work to start it, but you still have 2 throttles.
That is not as easy as 2 brakes.

I was going with the 100W/48v set up (and same battery set up) have on the other bike now.
Typo?
1,000 Watts right?
A 48V 100W only draws 4.8 amps, that's barley enough for a good lighting system.

Batteries have 2 Amp numbers.
The amps it can put out consistently for an hour, AH.
And Max sustained Amps it can put out regardless of time.

If a 50V battery has a 25 Amp Max draw ability that = 1250 Watts.

If that battery can only sustain 50V for an hour at 10 Amps in an Hour (10AH) you get a 500W battery that will last an hour.

If you draw the whole 25A @ 50V , the battery Watt rating, the battery only lasts about 20 minutes.

KC, you are correct. Those batteries require 7.5" length along a frame tube.... which allows for wiring,
in the 2.5" height and 3.5 in width.

Once again, logistics trump design.

I think those batteries will stick out too far from the seat rail/front down rail in that frame configuration.

The design is just a writing down of my initial thoughts.
They get lost so easily, you know.

In fact, as you point out, the scale of the first design is way off.
Yes indeed I know how much it sucks when you draw it all out and have it simply not be possible when you get to 'making it go'.

That is nothing to concern yourself with, invention usually comes with many failed attempts first.

Amp Hours is what you need to pay attention to for the size of the battery you need to sustain the power in Watts above that, bigger batteries.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Thanks, much.

Yes. It was a typo.

:-||

1000W / 48V system.

I anticipated using two controllers and two throttles and two 20ah 6s packs per hub in series.