Piston skirts/sides are somwhat black

GoldenMotor.com

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
I was taking apart the top end of my moorbike engine, took off the piston and the top of the piston is a very dark brown ( not quit black) and the skirts or sides of the piston look like they have exhaust fumes on it.. Its not too terrible but it concerns me if my piston rings are not sealing enough..the bike runs fine and everything though.. just want some advicebrnot

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How many miles are on your engine? How did you break in the engine?
What you are seeing is residue from blow by and it can be caused by a number of different things.
It won't cause any damage.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Some discoloration is normal. There will always be a small degree of blow-by past the piston rings but enough to show some darkening of the metal.
How does your spark plug look? What color is the porcelain tip?
Also what fuel to oil ratio are you running, if we're talking about a 2 stroke engine?

Tom

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
My spark plug is in good shape a good chocolate color...I've hot blow by on my piston way past the second ring...I'm thinking about getting new rings. I've done a **** of a lot of research and I think they're 40mm rings

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Expect the new rings let more blow by pass by them.
New piston rings are not perfectly round. New or used cylinders are not perfectly round either. New cylinders are given a final honing after the Nikasil plating has been done.
This leaves a crosshatch pattern in the cylinder which has 2 purposes. It holds oil in the valleys of the hone marks to give additional lubrication during break-in and the peaks of the hone marks acts like a file and wear the rings in for a perfect seal, well as perfect of a seal as one can hope for.
After the cylinder has a few hundred miles on it the crosshatch has been worn much smoother. The valleys are shallower and the peaks are dull.

When a cylinder is new the crosshatch in the cylinder is sharp.This is why a good break in is necessary. It allows the rings to marry (conform) with the cylinder quickly.

Unfortunately Nikasil plated cylinders cannot be re-honed to provide a fresh crosshatch.
The plating is only a couple thousands of an inch thick and re-honing would wear through it completely or make it sooo thin that the rings would quickly wear through it and the cylinder is junk in a short time.

The new rings will eventually marry (conform) to your used cylinder but it will take alot longer than when the cylinder was new, thus the increased blow by.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I'd put it back together and ride it. I really don't feel you have a problem. What you're seeing is normal.

Tom
I completely agree.

I wish you the best of luck with your porting. If you feel the need for some guidance, there are many threads here written by members who know how to do a good port and polish job.

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
Hey guys i just saw about a centimeter long scratch in my cylinder that i can feel with my fingernail and im super mad...should i get it replaced?

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
One scratch shouldn't hurt, the engine I just freshened up has over 1500 miles on it and has a couple of scratches. A lot of the scratches happen when people install one of these without first checking for debris left in the engine, I built this bike before finding this forum. If I knew then what I have learned about prepping a new engine I would have done several things different.