Laws for San Diego, California?

GoldenMotor.com

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Hey, before I build a bike I was wondering about the laws here in SD, how old do you need to be to drive one, or is it any age, when is qualified as a moped? I am not old enough to drive yet but I really want a motorbike. Most everything i have seen says it doesn't matter how old you are but I need to know officially, there aren't a lot of cops in my area (maybe 3) and I have seen 2-3 people riding motorbikes and they didn't have a license plate on them or anything, also, can you really not have a 2-stroke? All of the bikes I have seen are 2-strokes. Thanks for your help! Josh.usflg

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Go to the nearest DMV and pick up the motorcycle handbook and learn it back to front. Legal wise you need at least an M2 endorsement on your drivers licence, a one time (fee) moped registration plate and must wear a DOT approved helmet.

These are some of the legal requirements although they are not strict on them as of yet.....use your head and obey all traffic rules.....plain and simple.

I've been riding motorized bicycles for over 5 years in San Diego and have not had a single fine for doing so. Like I said, use your head and don't blow it for everyone else that has been enjoying this activity for years and hopefully many more to come!

dnut

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Oh yeah, Scotto is correct, helmet must be DOT on a gas bike.

With an electric you can do with the bike helmet. Also don't need to have license or registration.

Electric is a lot easier - :)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Oh yeah, Scotto is correct, helmet must be DOT on a gas bike.

With an electric you can do with the bike helmet. Also don't need to have license or registration.

Electric is a lot easier - :)
They are not strict on the DOT thing here in SD.....they just want you to be wearing a helmet of any kind really.

The police are very lenient down here so far.....let's not screw it up, wear a lid when you ride and stay off the sidewalks!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey, before I build a bike I was wondering about the laws here in SD, how old do you need to be to drive one, or is it any age, when is qualified as a moped? I am not old enough to drive yet but I really want a motorbike. Most everything i have seen says it doesn't matter how old you are but I need to know officially, there aren't a lot of cops in my area (maybe 3) and I have seen 2-3 people riding motorbikes and they didn't have a license plate on them or anything, also, can you really not have a 2-stroke? All of the bikes I have seen are 2-strokes. Thanks for your help! Josh
Most motorized bikes in California don't have a plate but that just means the motorized bicycle laws aren't enforced in a lot of areas.

Forget whatever you heard about 2 strokes being illegal in CA because on the street cops and nobody else cares about CARB regulations.

If you are under 21 you have to take the motorcycle safety course now to get a M2 or M1 permit.

Being old enough to be your father my advice would be to take the course if you are going to ride 2 wheeled motored vehicles and would like to live past your 20's