What would happen if the EPA seized a shipment of engines?

GoldenMotor.com

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the epa caught you importing 2 stroker kits without EPA?
It's not necessary the EPA - It's US Customs that enforces the importation laws of the US. If it is not EPA approved to be imported, then you take a chance if customs inspects and the shipment isn't EPA certified, your shipment maybe seized.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/basicinfo.htm

The other issue is with the California EPA. You may become the target of civil legal action from the State of California - ask Jessie James: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/entertainment&id=4977150

As stated on the Grubee website, it costs $25k to $30k to have an engine certified for importation and the importer becomes liable if the manufacture produces a non-compliant engine. http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/StarFire GEN.htm

I believe KCVale posted an Email from Don Grubee's wife on this forum within the last 6 months and mentioned others trying to import non-compliant engines and had their shipments confiscated.

There are exemptions to the laws and I am sure with the right legal advice, you can skirt the laws for a certain amount of time. In my opinion, it would only pay if you were shipping a full container to spread your costs of the legal advice. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/hardship-exemptions/hardship.htm

Your best bet would be to find a manufacture willing to send boxed engine parts, rather than complete engines. I am sure that is how some sellers are skirting the law.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It's not necessary the EPA - It's US Customs that enforces the importation laws of the US.
Absolutely correct.
Be it the EPA, DEA, FDA, or whoever sets the rules for a given item it is the Customs and Border Security peoples job to catch and seize anything illegal coming in and maybe even arrest the one bring it in and/or there to pick it up.

As stated on the Grubee website, it costs $25k to $30k to have an engine certified for importation and the importer becomes liable if the manufacture produces a non-compliant engine.

I believe KCVale posted an Email from Don Grubee's wife on this forum within the last 6 months and mentioned others trying to import non-compliant engines and had their shipments confiscated.
Again 100% correct other than Don's real last name is Grube, one e, he named the business Grubee because it sounds better to say Gur-Bee than Grub for an engine type I suspect hehehe ;-}

But back to the topic...

During the crucial renewal time frame at the end of the 3 year (2010-1012) EPA OK despite all efforts nobody with $25K money in hand to have the EPA simply rubber stamp EPA for another 3 years could find anyone at the EPA to do it, you remember the government shut down don't ya?

The sad part about that is Don spent a lot of time and money to improve the quality of the SKyhawk engines and come up with a cost effective way to get that initial 2010 EPA without making the engines total dogs if for nothing else to let us buy the kits and then do whatever else we want to them.

The ones left holding the bag was Nationwide Access (gasbike/Kings) in Van Nuy's CA.

They were the ones that took on the US side of 'being held responsible' for what comes in, built a 2 location shipping facility and structure for handling complete engine kit import and sales and now their main product is illegal to bring in.
I feel for them, I really do, they played by the rules and the YD engines are still top notch even with the EPA stuff on them.

Your best bet would be to find a manufacture willing to send boxed engine parts, rather than complete engines.
That's a Hat Trick 3 dead on correct!
I still buy the newest 2013 Skyhawk engine kits with the newest improvements, the engine parts are just not assembled and in separate boxes. In short you have to attach the piston to the crank and install the magneto.

The thing is without having to mess with EPA as it is 'just parts' coming in what you can get for gasbike/Kings now may be more polluting which is a big slap in the face to the EPA, but the things run like tops with far less restrictive and expensive parts like the carb and exhaust for starters.

So far I am loving it this way, I bought 5 of the new 'parts in a box' kits for $136 each delivered when they first tried selling them.
I should have bought 20 as the quality is great and the price has gone way up for the holidays no doubt, but I give a big Christmas Kudo out to the folks at Nationwide for finding a way to stay in business supplying me with what I need.

billmartin

Nov 26, 2012
DETROIT
I shipped 30 motors from China, to Detroit.
epa allows for 2 and 4 stroke engine imports now.
the head must be broken down though.
also you will need a broker to handle your importing paperwork.

although while importing I had to call it ("brake and spare parts")

broker fees aren't cheap, cost me over 600$
and your state will send you an imported items tax collection notice.
but if your getting enough motors at a good price it can be worth it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Those are not damaged! That's just part of the new EPA rules for lean burning engines!
:)
Adds lightness too!

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
That's how I got a new Super Rat. Seeing as how I couldn't find a vendor stateside to get me a new Rat to replace my dead one, I got it in pieces, a bottom end ordered & shipped, with the top end a week later. Now I have a fresh rat & everyone asks me how.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That's how I got a new Super Rat. Seeing as how I couldn't find a vendor stateside to get me a new Rat to replace my dead one, I got it in pieces, a bottom end ordered & shipped, with the top end a week later. Now I have a fresh rat & everyone asks me how.
That's how gasbike is sending their 2-strokes kit now since the EPA still hasn't got it's %$$^ together.

The magneto is out of the block, the cylinder and head are off, and the piston is not connected.

One big box with 3 other boxes and the rest of the kit.
It's nice to look inside and see how clean it is then put it together with clean hands.