fenders/mudguards

GoldenMotor.com

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Hey Guys,
I trust all has survived the eating frenzy we call Thanksgiving.
I'm posting this question here, thinking it's the correct section.
What's up with fenders and mud guards being "poo-poo'd" on?
I've a number of comments suggesting they are a hazard. Obviously, they can be, if not properly attached or routine maintenance is not performed.
A survivor of Thanksgiving....

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Two types of fenders work well on motorbikes: strutless fenders and fenders with tubular steel fender struts (see pic). Avoid the flat, stamped fender struts found on many original equipment fenders and on vintage bicycles. They are not strong enough for the speeds associated with motorbikes.
If you already have some fenders that have the flat, stamped struts, you can replace the struts with the stronger tubular steel type.

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Two types of fenders work well on motorbikes: strutless fenders and fenders with tubular steel fender struts (see pic). Avoid the flat, stamped fender struts found on many original equipment fenders and on vintage bicycles. They are not strong enough for the speeds associated with motorbikes.
If you already have some fenders that have the flat, stamped struts, you can replace the struts with the stronger tubular steel type.

Thanks for the comments. I can imagine the stresses are greater. I look at my light weight motorbikes and see how more robust the fenders and their attachments appear to be.Thanks for the pick.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's rarely the strut that fails. it's the cheap hardware.

i've gone over 10,000 miles on a bike with 70year old fenders and struts after getting real hardware and mounting them properly.

new cheaper bikes have thinner fenders, which have ripped the bolts thru the sheet metal before, and all the stock brackets are junk.

it's almost always the front fork bracket that fails and takes you out.

bottom line is mount them up sturdy, keep an eye on them, and hopefully nothing bad happens...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Remember guys, it's the vibration that destroys stuff.
Repeated movement causes work hardening and failure from the constant bending forces placed on fenders from flapping around. The more solid the mounting is, the less chance of failure.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I read in a post somewhere about welding a thicker strip of sheet metal down the center of them. Also using large fenders washers to keep the bolts from pulling through them.

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Hey Guys,
Here's thought I'm having for the front end. This is a suspension type fork from one of my 50 CC motor bikes. The studs on the inner lower tube are where the mud guard is attached. It's a more robust setup than a typical bicycle and, obviously, designed for a motorized 2 wheeler. These forks accept 23 X 2.25 rims and tires and have drum brakes. I'm going to experiment with this on a 26" frame. Have no idea if it will work, but, will report findings when I get to it. It should make for a "beefy" setup if it works. These forks are typically available on Ebate by searching "PUCH Moped" or PUCH Campus 50, Allstate moped etc. Also, have a source in the flat-lands, as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Hey Guys,
Here's thought I'm having for the front end. This is a suspension type fork from one of my 50 CC motor bikes. The studs on the inner lower tube are where the mud guard is attached. It's a more robust setup than a typical bicycle and, obviously, designed for a motorized 2 wheeler. These forks accept 23 X 2.25 rims and tires and have drum brakes. I'm going to experiment with this on a 26" frame. Have no idea if it will work, but, will report findings when I get to it. It should make for a "beefy" setup if it works. These forks are typically available on Ebate by searching "PUCH Moped" or PUCH Campus 50, Allstate moped etc. Also, have a source in the flat-lands, as well.

You may want to try this setup to stabilize the front of the front fender.

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Yeah, LandRider, that might be necessary on a bike, but, on what I have planned.
The fenders on the Campus 50s are damn near bullet proof. They were made by manly
men in the early 60s. LOL!