What did you do to your e-bike today?

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great looking motorized electric bicycle easyrider, i wish i had welding skills, so much more you can do to customize your ride

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
great looking motorized electric bicycle easyrider, i wish i had welding skills, so much more you can do to customize your ride
Thanks Paul but anytime I need something welded nice, I take it to Dean's shop and have his welder do his welding with the TIG welder. I have a gas MIG welder at home but I only weld steel with it after a bunch of practice welds first. lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
at least you have someone to do the welding, around here i had my stem welded for a longer tube on my motorized bicycles front suspension and it cost me $110.00. I guess its just another one of the high costs to live in endless summer. when we move back to the states i will take a few welding classes and get a welder, i have so many ideas on battery mounts and things like that for my electric bikes. also i am not real trusting on someone else working on my bike so i do everything myself, i have tools, truing station, stands actually everything i need to open a bike shop, however that would be work so i work on my own bikes

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've been looking for a kick stand for my latest eBike and finally found one that might work. Problem is my bike is a Downhill racing bike and almost every part of the frame is elevated. I found these cool kickstand pedals. They fold up when riding and with a twist of a knob and push of the center part, it turns into a kickstand. Work good except for one thing, the bike sits too high. I guess I'll have to bring along a short piece of wood or metal that's about an inch or two high.
I guess it's better than nothing.

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
easy rider can we have a link to where you found the pedal kickstand, that is a new one to me, and how do you think it would be if you had a motorized bicycle that did not stand so high off the ground

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I do have one that doesn't sit so high Paul. (My beach cruiser that I can ride for miles and miles)
I got he pedals from eBay. They weren't cheap at $68 but they're worth it. I was using my floor jack handle against my pedal and frame. Here's a snap shot of the company that makes them.
The pedals are made by Ibera Bike 2-in-1 pedal kickstand BV-PD5

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you know the dummy light the throttle has on an electric bicycle? well I rode mine to work and when I got their only yellow and red lights were still lit. when that happens I got maybe a mile left on it and I should have had around 8 left. anyway I put it on the charger and when I got off work I turned on the key and only the 2 lights lit. I was thinking crap I have to climb the mountain and I am not going to make it home before darkness if I have to pedal all the way thier, so I pedaled all I could (which I seldom pedal at all) worried all the way home and trying to save the battery to climb over the mountain. i got home soaked with sweat. anyway I put it on the charger same thing only 2 lights, checked with the a volt meter and I had a full charge 58 volts, long story short this dummy believed the dummy lights and my legs are killing me lol. glad it was only a light bulb

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There are tiny wires within the throttle that illuminate those charge indicator lights. I figured out that my full charge light would never illuminate because one of those small wires was broken. I discovered that when i disassembled the throttle for a repair.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Ah yes, I use to have that 3 light fuel gauge. That thing use to freak me out all the time with its inaccuracy.
In other news, I did reprogram my controller to a different phase current and battery current setting. Pulling a max of 94A and maxed out 9.4HP out of it. Acceleration is a bit faster and climbing the same retention pond is a lot more fun.
I also swapped in a new rear shock and not too happy with it.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I also swapped in a new rear shock and not too happy with it.
Shocks can be a pain and costly getting the right one for you. I spent almost $200 on a Fox air shock and it was too soft so I went back to my $20 Chinese shock with a 950lb spring. Good thing I sold it on craigslist for the same amount I bought it for and that doesn't happen too often.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The Rockshox is smaller versus the mass produced Chinese moto shock. I'll try some other springs and see how it goes. My old shock had 550lbs spring and the new one has a 350lbs spring. I'll look for a 400lbs or higher spring.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
you know the dummy light the throttle has on an electric bicycle? well I rode mine to work and when I got their only yellow and red lights were still lit. when that happens I got maybe a mile left on it and I should have had around 8 left. anyway I put it on the charger and when I got off work I turned on the key and only the 2 lights lit. I was thinking crap I have to climb the mountain and I am not going to make it home before darkness if I have to pedal all the way thier, so I pedaled all I could (which I seldom pedal at all) worried all the way home and trying to save the battery to climb over the mountain. i got home soaked with sweat. anyway I put it on the charger same thing only 2 lights, checked with the a volt meter and I had a full charge 58 volts, long story short this dummy believed the dummy lights and my legs are killing me lol. glad it was only a light bulb
That's why I've got voltmeters on both my e-bikes - :)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My derailleur chain wheels were squeaking so I removed and lubed them. Without the squeaking, I can hear the fenders rattle now. I also rode the e-bike to Home Depot to get a replacement lawn sprinkler head. There were still a lot of puddles to ford along the route from recent rains to I appreciated my rattling fenders.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I installed my new bike seat assembly and tried out a new battery and phase current setting. Almost 11HP. Fun for offroad, but not so much for onroad.