La Voiturette Deux Places (1952)

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Bonjour mes amies! This time I'm posting the complete set of plans for a voiturette published in issue No:76 (April 1952). As with the velocar plans I posted earlier the construction is mainly in plywood and this wee car is intended to be powered by a single cylinder engine that has been recovered/reclaimed/borrowed from a motorcycle.

Yes it does have four wheels which is a problem when it comes to attempt to register/license it in these unenlightened times; - BUT if it was built as a three wheeler instead and pedals included as a part of the transmission it becomes a velocar. A rather posh velocar built in an older style, but a velocar none the less.

Most of the French plans I've posted so far follow the same general basic design and construction principles which makes mixing and matching parts of the different designs very possible in order to end up with what you want.

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
And the last two pages. I like the design for converting an old bulb horn into something more robust.

The wheels are reclaimed from scrap scooters (90x270). The original builder used an NSU 198cc engine and car's dry weight is 104kg. Top speed is 75kph and the builder reports in the article that he's driven 6,000km with no serious problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, I like that horn! I remember one I saw that was given to Tinsmith. It was missing the bulb and he had to end up sending to India for one to fit it. Simpler and less costly would have been something like the one in the plans. I am reminded sometimes of how stuck we get in our thinking, forgetting the principle involved. In this case, pushing a volume of air into the horn. Something from a bicycle pump might work... what else? Especially what else that would look old timey? Trying to remember what a beekeeper smoker looks like... Needs to be brass or copper to go with the horn part.
SB