How To Mount Engine Properly? + PICS

GoldenMotor.com

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Hi Everyone,

I've been encountering an issue with my engine quite often now.

The studs on my engines keep on snapping :( Luckily for me, I have the tools to easily replace the studs after they snap off.

But unfortunately, these occurrences are not random since it has happened to the same bike multiple times over.

I strongly believe it is an issue with my method of mounting.

I have included pictures of the engine on the bike frame (not mounted with bolts). The engine is "dry fitted" onto the frame. Just for you guys to get an understanding of what I'm dealing with.

So, I really would like to find out what is causing my studs to snap and if possible, tips on how to mount my particular engine correctly.

Note: I do not have a welding machine or any special tools for that matter :p

Thanks for all the help and time you guys put in, it really is appreciated.

Thanks again,
Vinoy

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
**UPDATE**

Firstly, I'd like to thank 2door and maniac57 for your prompt responses of help and advice.

So from what you guys told me, I have redone the mount and hopefully this one fairs better than the last.

A few things to note:
-Engine feels much more secure than before
-I can't twist the engine from left to right (good thing)

Also, in the pictures attached please note that there is empty space between the flat metal piece that the U-Bolt goes through. So the only contact I have is with the two nuts and the down tube (as is seen in the pictures).

Lastly, the down tube on my bike is sort of irregular because the down tube flattens as the tube reaches the intersecting point (seat post back frame meet on bottom where pedals are).

Hopefully, I can get confirmation that this method will work. It'd be really great if I did it right this time :D

Thanks again for all the help,
Vinoy

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You need something solid between the engine and the frame. Your studs are absorbing all the vibrations from the engine. That's why they're breaking.

The fasteners should hold the mount solid to the frame, not be the attaching parts. Find a piece of metal you can use to fill the gap between the engine and the bike frame and rely on the fasteners (studs) to hold it in place instead of what your photos show.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
On your front engine mount, the flat plate with four holes should be tight against the engine mount. Just use two bolts through the plate into the mounting holes. There should not be a gap between the plate and the frame.
See how this mount is flat against the engine?

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Hey 2door,

What a relief that is to hear you say this is better :D You really don't know all the trouble I went through with mounting issues with these kits! :p

Hopefully this works out for me :D

I'll keep you guys posted.

.shft.

Thanks again for the help,
Vinoy