Concerning Florida Bike Laws

GoldenMotor.com

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
There is not 1 regulation regarding the bike frame strength, what the frame is composed of metal wise, or weld quality. Not 1. Motorcycles are just as deadly now as they were 60 years ago. That's because nobody or no agency cares. LMAO
You really don't get it, do you?
Why do you think they created federal guidelines for the sale of vehicles.. For the safety equipment...

Why do you think, for example. Why they made certain guidelines for mopeds, electric bicycles, motorcycles, etc...

And your self propelled argument is also just ridiculous...

Think LOGICALLY for a bit.. You'll see the light...

I've seen overpowered electric and gas motors on bicycles, that just mangle the frame, dropouts, etc..
Been there, wrecked that.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Why do you think they created federal guidelines for the sale of vehicles.. For the safety equipment...

Why do you think, for example. Why they made certain guidelines for mopeds, electric bicycles, motorcycles, etc...

I've seen overpowered electric and gas motors on bicycles, that just mangle the frame, dropouts, etc..
Guidelines? I've read them up close and personal, straight off NHTSA's website. Show me 1 link off any NHTSA website that remotely speaks about frame material, welds or brazes, minimum tube diameters, etc. Just show me one link. I only need one. LMAO

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2Fcars%2Frules%2Fmaninfo%2Fmcpkg002.pdf&ei=ylqgUd6FA8GyiQKY94HQCQ&usg=AFQjCNF7F1yGmLHRP5KD71TvyrK1NapCzg&sig2=EOq6L9HJGGAMGdrcUpzwuQ&bvm=bv.47008514,d.cGE

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az

Those guidelines only apply to commercial interest and not to custom makers
otherwise you weld it it has to be certified! and even in commercial
it's only about every 10th part checked, if not 100th part
do you know how many Idiots have been killed by commercially produced
atv's?
it's not anybodies fault if the user is an idiot!!! jumping a bicycle at 40 miles
an hour and they wonder why their frames crack? ROFLMAO
How many people have been killed thinking NOT ME!!!
and then they do something idiotic IMHO
I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, but what do you call someone
who's taping 1 and 1/2 sticks of dynamite to their ass** and hitting it
with a hammer
1 gallon= 3 sticks of dynamite

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

The only difference between a dirt bike and a street bike are lights, signals and gauges. A NHTSA regulated street bike isn't any stronger or safer than a dirt bike. It's easier to see a street bike at night but you can die on one just as easily as you can die on a dirt bike.

I'll take my chances on any dirt bike made over a NHTSA regulated moped any day of the week. LOL

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Tell that to the shuttle riders, I'm sure you words of encouragement means
everything about the strength of the welds!!!

Oh and have parts on at least 10 of the shuttles, Aerospace machinist here
Do Tell!!!!!!!!!!!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Those guidelines only apply to commercial interest and not to custom makers
otherwise you weld it it has to be certified! and even in commercial
it's only about every 10th part checked, if not 100th part
do you know how many Idiots have been killed by commercially produced
atv's?
it's not anybodies fault if the user is an idiot!!! jumping a bicycle at 40 miles
an hour and they wonder why their frames crack? ROFLMAO
How many people have been killed thinking NOT ME!!!
and then they do something idiotic IMHO
I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, but what do you call someone
who's taping 1 and 1/2 sticks of dynamite to their ass** and hitting it
with a hammer
1 gallon= 3 sticks of dynamite
Your bike frame can crack just as easily if a 300 lb. fat azz climbs on a bike than if a 170 lb. rider climbs on a motorized bike. The fat azz is putting more stress on the frame than any 20 lb motor ever would.
Yet there are no NHTSA regulations against a fat azz hopping on a bike. LOL

Look at the FMVSS regulations regarding Mopeds and Motor Driven Cycles. You could make a frame out of Bamboo if you wanted to. You would eventually be sued into the ground when it fails, but NHSTA has specific no regulation against it.

FMVSS and regulations that apply to "On-Road use only" motorcycles, mopeds or motor driven cycles, including three wheeled vehicles are as follows:

1. FMVSS No. 106, Brake Hoses
2. FMVSS No. 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment
3. FMVSS No. 111, Rearview Mirrors
4. FMVSS No. 116, Motor Vehicle Brake Fluids
5. FMVSS No. 119, New Pneumatic Tires for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars
6. FMVSS No. 120, Tire Selection and Rims for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars
7. FMVSS No. 122, Motorcycle Brake System
8. FMVSS No. 123, Motorcycle Controls and Displays
9. FMVSS No. 205, Glazing Materials

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Do Tell!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm all for quality TIG welds and reinforced CroMoly or Titanium frames. I'm just saying NHTSA doesn't directly regulate such things. They figure if you make something that breaks prematurely then you'll just be sued into non-existence anyway, so why enact any specific regulations on it? LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Do Tell!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THIS AND TELL ME WHAT SENSE IT MAKES.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/faq%20site/pages/page3.html#Anchor-46936

"Small motor scooters that are incapable of a maximum speed above 20 miles per hour may be lawfully entered under Box 8 on the HS-7 Declaration form as vehicles that were not primarily manufactured for on-road use.
Such low-speed scooters can be entered in this fashion even if they are equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are normally found on vehicles intended for use on public roads."

So a bicycle with basic reflectors on it is legal to ride on any street in America at 15 MPH but if you're on a motorized bicycle or Moped with a top speed of 15 MPH, then it's not automatically considered an "on-road use" vehicle to NHTSA, regardless of lights and signals attached to it? It requires an "HS-7 Declaration". Really now? WTF kind of logic is that exactly? LMAO.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
READ THIS AND TELL ME WHAT SENSE IT MAKES.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/faq%20site/pages/page3.html#Anchor-46936

"Small motor scooters that are incapable of a maximum speed above 20 miles per hour may be lawfully entered under Box 8 on the HS-7 Declaration form as vehicles that were not primarily manufactured for on-road use.
Such low-speed scooters can be entered in this fashion even if they are equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are normally found on vehicles intended for use on public roads."

So a bicycle with basic reflectors on it is legal to ride on any street in America at 15 MPH but if you're on a motorized bicycle or Moped with a top speed of 15 MPH, then it's not automatically considered an "on-road use" vehicle to NHTSA, regardless of lights and signals attached to it? It requires an "HS-7 Declaration". Really now? WTF kind of logic is that exactly? LMAO.
It makes absolutely no sense, but that is our Government
I weld it, it breaks, MY fault!
But then in my opinion, about 90 percent have NO COMMON SENSE
if only we could cure the 10 percent hahahaha
O.K. now I've had a few drops and I will say goodnight!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It makes absolutely no sense, but that is our Government
I weld it, it breaks, MY fault!
But then in my opinion, about 90 percent have NO COMMON SENSE
if only we could cure the 10 percent hahahaha
O.K. now I've had a few drops and I will say goodnight!
From NHTSA's website:

"NHTSA encourages bicycling as an alternative mode of transportation to motor vehicle travel and encourages the adoption of mutual respect between motorists and bicyclists to enhance safety for all road users, including bicyclists. Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles."

NHTSA encourages pedaling a bicycle less than 20mph on the street but if you put a motor on it to do the same speed or slower then all of a sudden you're on an "Off Road Vehicle" unless you declare otherwise, regardless of the lights and turn signals on it???? LMAO

If I didn't know any better I would say NHTSA is discriminating against slow speed (under 20mph), 2 wheel, motor vehicles cause they don't want them on city streets. Even though it's perfectly fine to pedal that slow on a bicycle??? If NHTSA had it's way they would make ALL bicycles "Off Road Vehicles", but they can't. That would cause an uproar from coast to coast.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
But states get to decide what constitutes a "bicycle"..
No matter what the Federal law states.
Feds say a bicycle is a vehicle. A state CAN say a "bicycle" can have up to 100 wheels with up to 30 motors. OR a "bicycle" has no motor whatsoever.
So no matter what this supposed "law" is , states STILL have a right to legislate vehicles on their public roads.
I'm curious what this "federal law" that the nhtsa says is..
What's the US code for this law?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
But states get to decide what constitutes a "bicycle"..
No matter what the Federal law states.
Feds say a bicycle is a vehicle. A state CAN say a "bicycle" can have up to 100 wheels with up to 30 motors. OR a "bicycle" has no motor whatsoever.
So no matter what this supposed "law" is , states STILL have a right to legislate vehicles on their public roads.
I'm curious what this "federal law" that the nhtsa says is..
What's the US code for this law?
"NHTSA does not define the terms “motor scooter,” “moped,” “pocket bike,” “mini-chopper,” “mini-ninja,” or any other terms of this nature that may be used for the purpose of marketing motorcycles and motor driven cycles. Those terms therefore have no relevance to the classification of a vehicle for the purpose of determining which FMVSS would apply to it. Note that States are free to regulate the use of such vehicles and may use their own terms when describing vehicle types for the purpose of their regulations."

States only have rights cause NHTSA basically says, We Feds don't want to deal with that, You states can deal with that mess. LOL

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/faq%20site/pages/page3.html#Anchor-52644