First Build Haro MTB - Finally got a MTB

GoldenMotor.com

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
First Build Haro MTB - Running Awesome!

Hey guys this is my first motor bicycle build, In this build I will be using my new Haro V3 Aluminum Frame mountain bike with a 66cc black china girl.

I hope to get upgrades for this build like a Sick Bike Parts Shift Kit and maybe a SBP expansion chamber.

Updates

auflg

Last edited:

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Try your bike without the mods for now until you get the kinks out and get a feel for what the add-ons do.
This is what a lot of people here recommend for a motorized bicycle-newb.
Only problem is I'm not sure if my rear wheel will fit the standard sprocket D:

Edit: Looking at it again I looks like I can just remove my rear disc brake and maybe re-drill some holes in the stock sprocket and just bolt it to the disc brake rotor mount...
So should I just get a normal china girl and a shift kit or spend $250 - $300 on a decent 66cc and just experiment with the sprocket ?

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
If you use a shift kit you dont have a chain on the brake disc side, it runs off the normal bike chain. Or they make something called a top hat so you can mount a sprocket and a disc together if you go single speed. Sorry I dont have a link to who has top hats but they are out there.

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
If you use a shift kit you dont have a chain on the brake disc side, it runs off the normal bike chain. Or they make something called a top hat so you can mount a sprocket and a disc together if you go single speed. Sorry I dont have a link to who has top hats but they are out there.
Yeah, I was thinking about top hats but why pay like $100 for a top hat and its only $144 for a shift kit... :p

Probably going to mount my sprocket to my disc brake hub until i get enough for a shift kit then just go shift kit and put my disc brake back on.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I strongly suggest you build it single speed first and get some experience with the engine and bike before you attempt a shift kit.
They require a much higher level of upkeep and setup to keep on the road.
A standard kit will teach you what to fix and what to replace and is MUCH easier to assemble and tune for a first time builder. (No offense!)
Once you learn how to keep your chinagirl happy, you can worry about the upgrades to bling her out.

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I strongly suggest you build it single speed first and get some experience with the engine and bike before you attempt a shift kit.
They require a much higher level of upkeep and setup to keep on the road.
A standard kit will teach you what to fix and what to replace and is MUCH easier to assemble and tune for a first time builder. (No offense!)
Once you learn how to keep your chinagirl happy, you can worry about the upgrades to bling her out.
Well said maniac, No offence taken I understand 100% and I'm going with a single speed for awhile. Does anyone know how big the hole is in the center of the sprocket ?

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Sorry I haven't updated the build log, Been to busy riding my bike!!

Anyway here is a load of pictures that pretty much tell themselves.

So I my kit came with a 50T Sprocket for some reason and It was revving really high to keep up with my friends 44T so I went ahead and bought a 36T and so far Im loving it! But I ran into a couple of problems today, There was a problems in my engines head seal today and you it was leaking air (You could hear and feel the air coming out of the head and it wouldn't start) so I took my head of the engines and now I cant get it back on properly because when I tighten the head bolts it starts to unscrew the thread bolts that hold the engine together so I cant get it tight enough to hold compression. So Im going to try and loctite the engine threads and then put the head on and see where I get with that.