electric bike speed

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
not sure if i am getting old or what or maybe i really am satisfied. when i first got my electric bike i spent hours upon hours trying to find out all the ways to go faster. researching batteries, controllers ect, i have well over 2,000 miles on the magic pie and the speed of the original kit is still a thrill to me and plenty fast enough. kinda weird every vehicle i have ever had cars, trucks, bicycles, and motorcycles i have always done what ever i can to make them fast. pie trek i just like to ride. plenty fast and gets up to speed fast. my time and concentration is comfort instead of speed. if i have that urge to go real fast i just fly down the mountain and see how far i can go before i decide i better use the brakes a little and admire the pucker print i leave on my bicycle seat lol.
.wee.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Their website says that the MagicPie3 will do 30 mph, that's nothing to scoff at! I'd like to use one of these for an aux drive on a gas bike someday.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I wanted to make my 2008 ambassador electric but couldnt come to grips with the cost of batteries....motors and controllers are priced within reason .
when they come down I'll try electric.......till then my carbon footprint is gonna stay big.trk

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i ended up putting a lot more money into my under under $200.00 gas motors then i did buying an electric motor kit. however the electric was all at once. the gas was continued upgrades

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The MP3 on a 700C (29 inch) wheel will do 30 mph.

The kit and the battery will cost you a grand.

It's worth it - :)

Consider the cost of the battery like buying gas upfront.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
With an electric its worth getting the more powerful, power matched kits right at the start. I've been doing the hot rodding approach to using cheap brushed scooter motors and controllers, and you burn stuff up finding out the extremes of operation even if you're careful. With a good brand power matched controller an motor running at the intended voltage, its supposed to be maintenance free if brushless, with just batts needing replacement.

I'd like to try one of the new mid-drive kits on my mountain bike through the derailleur. I was thinking one of those small 800w mini generators could be stripped down to use as a range extender once I get away from people up on the summit trails. It would be cool to be able to go trekking with an electric bike!

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
I've done 42mph on a magic pie 2 using 115v on a 20" wheel.
I've seen other members push 48mph on 26" wheels, but torque is not as good.

This motor can range from mild to wild, depending on how you roll with it.

I hear the internal controllers are crap, lots of reports of them breaking in short time. so it's better to buy a magic pie 2 from goldenmotor.ca without the internal controller and add your own hot rod controller. The motor internals are the same and there are less worries about getting water into it.

Video evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN8YfwFB61o

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
I would have never liked a slow 40 something mph ebike when I was younger. :)

Had a Honda when I was 13 that would go faster than that ! :)

I do not know how the younger people can even stand a slow 40 something mph ebike !

I think ebikes are better suited for people that have already satisfied their need for speed :)

My fastest bike is my road bike with no motor going down hill. :)

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
this old man is with you motortriker. 28mph on my stock magic pie is plenty fast for me.if i decide i want to go faster i will buy a motorcycle but thats just me, nothing wrong with pushing things to the limit. it's all about what you want out of your motorized bicycle. me i want reliable and fast enough to get me to work in a reasonable amount of time and my current set up does that. for me part of the ride is enjoying the beautiful surroundings this caribbean island has to offer.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Right ? latey most of our ebike rides have been off road way out in the woods top speed about 10 mph :)

Batteries last all day at those speeds ! :)

Stop to look at the birds :)

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
My ebike is plenty thrilling with a 25mph top speed currently, torque makes the ride so much more fun when it feels like the bike isn't working hard.

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Well, are you referring to a bicycle or a motorcycle?
I'm 31, i've got most of my high speed kicks out on 4 wheels. I don't believe bicycles are very safe above 40mph ( even with dual 203mm rotors and fat tires ) and ride them at that speed very rarely.

I'd think differently if we were talking about a motorcycle or scooter chassis. But much above that is really taking your life into your hands!

Also since the legal speed limit for an ebike is 20mph, it's not wise to go too far above that.

I'm just hooked on the torque of a 6-10kw machine. I might not go fast, but i get to my top speed pretty effin' fast. Good enough for me.

I would have never liked a slow 40 something mph ebike when I was younger. :)

Had a Honda when I was 13 that would go faster than that ! :)

I do not know how the younger people can even stand a slow 40 something mph ebike !

I think ebikes are better suited for people that have already satisfied their need for speed :)

My fastest bike is my road bike with no motor going down hill. :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think you hit the nail on the head neptronix. hit the gas and in seconds you are at 20mph+. the really cool part is all our life we are used to hitting the throttle and hearing this loud sound, with an electric bicycle their is no sound it just takes off

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Well, are you referring to a bicycle or a motorcycle?
I'm 31, i've got most of my high speed kicks out on 4 wheels. I don't believe bicycles are very safe above 40mph ( even with dual 203mm rotors and fat tires ) and ride them at that speed very rarely.

I'd think differently if we were talking about a motorcycle or scooter chassis. But much above that is really taking your life into your hands!

Also since the legal speed limit for an ebike is 20mph, it's not wise to go too far above that.

I'm just hooked on the torque of a 6-10kw machine. I might not go fast, but i get to my top speed pretty effin' fast. Good enough for me.
If you want to go fast on a bicycle then those skinny tires and high quality rims and brakes is the way to go.

With the right gearing it is not that hard to get up the hill and going down hill can be a bicycle speed rush, no motor needed. :)

I use fat tires and a motor to go offroad through the sugar sand and mud for hours.

In Florida it is legal for an ebike to go up to the speed limit on not level ground.

When I was 31 it had to be at least 750. :)

Last edited:

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Going over 40 on an electric bike with fat tires drains the battery fast.

That is why most every bike with fat tires that goes over 40 is gas powered.

Back in the day if you wanted a slow scoot you rode a Harley. :)

automation_guy

Apr 24, 2013
Boise, ID
Just completed my first electric motorized bike - Magic Pie 3, 12 ah - 48 volt battery. The bike is based on a dual suspension mountain bike - 700C tires. I did install a CycleAnalyst for performance monitor and am very glad I did. I am a 250 lb "pilot" When I was first investigating what what hub motor to buy my questions were how fast can I go an how far can I go. The answer is "that depends". If I hop on the bike, slam the throttle to max and turn on the cruise control, no peddling, by the time I reach 15 miles at 25 miles per hour the battery has used 11 amp hours. (Close to depleted.) To maintain that speed requires about 900 to 1000 watts. If I want to go for range all I gotta do is slow down. Under identical conditions as above if I slow down to 15 miles per hour and put on the cruise control the watts drop from 1000 watts to about 300 watts. The result is that the watthours / mile drop from 35 watthours to 24 watt-hours / mile. At 15 miles per hour the range increases to 24 miles.... a dramatic increase. Of course peddling increases range as well. I suspect I could get 30 miles out of the bike if I did some light peddling .... but I not tried it yet. Its to fun going fast but running out of charge half way home is no fun.

The moral to the story is that if you don't have to go far - put the throttle to wall and have fun. (Since I work five miles from home thats the way I normally ride.) If I want to visit my friends in the town 10 miles away and have enough no-charge range to get back home I take my time getting there and enjoy the ride.

By far - at the speeds modern e-bike are capable of traveling the biggest factor affecting range is wind resistance. As any good pilot can tell you aerodynamic drag goes up my the cube of the velocity. If traveling against a headwind tuck down to minimize frontal area. Because of the cube relationship that is actually more effective than peddling.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Just completed my first electric motorized bike - Magic Pie 3, 12 ah - 48 volt battery. The bike is based on a dual suspension mountain bike - 700C tires. I did install a CycleAnalyst for performance monitor and am very glad I did.
Sounds like a pretty nice bike. I'm going to running the same hub but smaller tires and a 20ah battery.
Do you have a picture of your bike? I would love to see the monitor you installed and what it's functions are. I'm still new at this and learning as much as I can.
Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The moral to the story is that if you don't have to go far - put the throttle to wall and have fun. (Since I work five miles from home thats the way I normally ride.) If I want to visit my friends in the town 10 miles away and have enough no-charge range to get back home I take my time getting there and enjoy the ride.
Agreed - I've an older MP2 w/a 15ah pack with 26x2.125 semi slicks on an aluminum mountain bike, w/a 200lb rider it's good for almost 30mi (27.5 test run) without any attempt made at power conservation - however should I plan on exceeding the 15mi "point of no return" I'll pedal assist take-offs & utilize the MP's cruse control feature to help regulate application, setting it for about 3/4 throttle (roughly 20mph) which is the top of the bikes pedal gear speed (start dropping below 20 on a hill/wind = pedal assist). Doing this the range is increased significantly, to the point I've been unable to determine it's potential as with the pedaling involved it's all becoming inconsistent comparative variables lol, it starts getting really nit-picky with tiny factors having a a more pronounced effect (road surface, stop & go frequency, even clothing type & etc.).

TBH as I usually never need to exceed it's max range I rarely give it a thought anymore & just pin the throttle - I usually stand & pedal assist all take offs, but this has little to do with range and far more to do with amusement as doing that the bike launches off the line quite impressively for a mere 1.3hp ehub, the front tire bouncing off the pavement w/every down stroke & the rear tire just starting to spin a bit on any loose surface - it cracks me up every time I do that leaving a stop light or whatever, when the other traffic catches up the looks I get are priceless as so very few notice the rear hub motor lol

I never though an ebike would be enough, but now a year later I just can't imagine not having one for my daily usage *shrug* the thing is not only amazingly reliable, it's a laugh riot :p

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i run fat albert tires on my motorized electric bicycle and really did not notice any difference when i went from a smaller tires pumped up to 70 pounds to the the fat alberts pumped up to 50 lbs. huge difference was the comfort of the ride. the fat alberts take out a lot of the bumps and make for a more pleasurable ride. speed and range i did not really see any loss of when i went to the fat alberts