Brushless motor for generator?

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks so much for the info Bob. I ordered the generator and already received the solar power unit. I look forward to referencing your two posts often when I finally get around to try and mount this system on my bike.

Gilbert

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Happy to help, and I'm still tooling around on mine. But the pulley and belt, while not rocket science, aren't off the shelf, so I would order them now as well. I'd buy 2 belts, and you obviously have to do some trig or use a table to guess at your belt length.

And also, my power is strong and reliable, but intermittent. So I need my tiny m'cycle battery. That's where the controller is a big help. It is designed to manage the power (in and out) in exactly the same way I need it.

G'luck and maybe post a few pix.

Bob D.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Bob, Happy New Year!

I am finally getting your system installed. Got the brackets made up for the alternator, got the belt installed, wired up the controller and rectifier. I think I got everything right, but I have one question. I have a 10 amp fuse connected between the battery positive and the controller. When I run the engine at higher rpm's the fuse is blowing.

Does your system have a fuse between the battery and the controller? I see you have a 5 amp circuit breaker, but I can not tell where it is located schematically.

Thanks for the help,

Gilbert

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
And to you as well, Gilbert.

It's been awhile, but my 5 amp circuit breaker is between the load output of my controller and my NuVinci microprocessor. I installed it there to prevent it from over amping and failing my unreplaceable microprocessor. Rightly or wrongly, I don't fuse anything else.

I am surprised that you are moving more than 10 amps anywhere with the YAF54 alternator, if you are using about the same parts as me. I would check and make sure that you have (1) alternator to rectifier, properly wired, (2) rectifier to controller input, (3) all of your load(s) from the controller to them (i.e. NO loads connected to the controller battery output), and (4) battery controller output to battery, proper poles. Per (3) I would make sure that you aren't wiring loads to the controller battery connection, but even then, the controller should be limiting amperage.

Amperages are hard to check, but I would take the volt meter that you SHOULD already own and check voltage vs. several alternator rpms for controller input, and both controller outputs, with battery connected, and loads both connected and not connected. All 4 voltages for several rpm's. I think that will clue you in to any problems, but feel free to type in your values here if you want another head scratcher.

G'luck and I think your worst case will be easily soluble. I have remained problem free since our last exchange.

Bob D.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the quick reply. I chalk this up to me being an electronic idiot. I think I burned up the controller. It smoked a little (never a good sign) when testing. I opened it and it looks like the built in fuse blew.

I am pretty sure I have the alternator spinning too fast. I had my driver pulley at twice as large as the alternator pulley and I was getting up to 60 volts at higher engine rpm's. I guess the controller couldn't handle that many volts. I have changed the driver pulley to about half the size as the alternator puley now and will check voltage on that, but the controller is toast.

I am going to try a dc voltage regulator next. I ordered on that can handle 48 volts input and 160 watts.

I might order another controller, but I messed it up so fast.

Thanks for all your help Bob,

Gilbert