Motorized Electric Scooter Converted To Gas

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I hear you on lower gearing, my little scooter wheels on my electric have been excellent fun accelerating. I have had squirrely handling issues as well and in order to keep it under control at high speed you need to be able to grip tightly and brace the bike which is kinda hard on a scooter. Glad to hear it worked out well for you, bet the kids are having a blast!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
The kids love this scooter & take turns taking 2 laps a piece on it around our block. I hooked up a mount to use the same rear flasher I use on my MB's (Radbot 1000). Its a very bright 1W flasher that can easily be seen during daylight hours.
The change in gearing made a huge difference & I think I'll leave it alone like this, 10T-->22T-->10" wheel w/5:1 Pocketbike transmission...
-lowracer-

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
Hey lowrider, I happen to have a E400 in the garage that the batteries are dead on once again and the son wants to ride

Going to follow your route and turn her into gas powered finally after seeing your post

I just took her apart and my rear wheel has the sprocket bolted to the wheel with 3 bolts, not the screw on freewheel like yours

Where did you get your transmission with the #25 sprocket on it?

My E400 luckily has a front disc brake on it already which seems to work very well!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Slowride,
My rear wheel has a threaded section (like a bicycle) & accepts std english freewheels. I started off with an 18T single speed BMX freewheel, but then went back to the stock thread on adaptor w/4bolts but removed the #25 sprocket & bolted on a bicycle 22T chainring. My transmission sprocket is a 10T #410 chain sprocket (not #25). I am using BMX chain #410. The cheapest place I've found for the 5:1 pocket bike transmission is Big Motor Sport.
Good luck.
Start a new build thread for your project...
-lowracer-

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
Low, before I start the build or thread, let me ask your advice as you just completed a very similar build

I do not have a threaded wheel like yours, my wheel just has a standoff where the three bolts hold the #25 sprocket onto it. Monsterscooterparts sells a similar trans with a #25 sprocket on it which is also 5:1 ratio

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/trfor3336434.html

I do not see a easy or cheap way of going with #41 or #35 chain without having a freewheel like your back wheel.... trying to do this on the cheap here

Going this way, the gearing will not work, 5:1 reduction with a 20 feeding the 55 wheel gives me 13mph at 6,000 rpm's. I do not want this for speed at all, but she would be wound out at 13mph screaming

Any ideas or leads to better gearing?? I can not find any other 3 hole #25 sprockets online

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
So the e400 is direct drive (no freewheel)? Your gearing @ 8500 rpm's=18.39 mph...not bad, but may want a bit faster. My Tanaka spins up to 8500 max rpm's @ wot.
I guess you could drill some exactly measured holes in your #25 rear sprocket & bolt any size 8-9 spd chainring to it. On eBay, Fancy Scooters sells a 12T #410 sprocket that goes right on the 5:1 transmission if you like std bicycle chain over 325 chain.
-Low-

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
Low, here is my idea I came up with going through the garage looking for spare parts

My idea...

Leave the OEM wheel and sprocket on it and use a spare #35 60 tooth sprocket and measure it and bolt it centered onto that OEM wheel with four 5/16" bolts

I have a 99cc engine sitting out in the garage that I am going to use for this. I am going to sit it on top of that rear wheel crossover brace and a brace I fab up forward of that one just ahead of the rear wheel

The clutch is 12 tooth and the rear sprocket would be 60 tooth, the rear wheel is 10" and the rpm is 3600 which would give me a top speed of 21.6 miles per hour

The hardest part is going to find dead center on both sprockets before bolting them together... any ideas? I was going to use 2 vice grips and a digital caliper and slowly make adjustments as I clamp then together then hit the drill press.

Whats your thoughts on the set up I have in mind here??

Would like to use a smaller engine, but this one is on hand and free to use

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Slowride,
I think you're onto something here...
I'm a vice-gripper too.
I think the engine might be too powerful for the contraption, but can always see if you like scootering then make engine changes to suit.
In my State, being under 50cc & under 2 hp & under 30 mph makes it a legal vehicle even without pedals. I dont want to encourage you straight into breaking the law...lol
-Lowracer-

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
With digital caliper and two vise grips, I am going to "try" and align both sprockets perfectly and see how it looks.... should have time to do this today

Yes the 99cc is way big on this thing, but money is tight and there is no cost involved!

The one thing that scares me even with the original setup is the sprocket is held on the wheel flange with what looks like three maybe maybe 4mm bolts.... how they don't break is beyond me!

Will update when done...

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
What size wheel is it?
electricscooterparts.com,tncscooters.com,monsterscooterparts.com,just to name a few places to look.

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
Low,

Been crazy busy with the wife and kids here and work... will be working on it saturday for sure!

Will bolt on the #35 sprocket and make up some kind of engine bracket/stand for the 99cc to fit on

Rear wheel slides back so chain is easy to adjust

I "should" have a ridable setup by sunday to test out

Front brake is a disc, so just need the engine on and she is ready to go!

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
Checked all the scooter sites online...

Has aanyone ever seen one that just sells a FRAME only?

Can not find a single oem frame from any site, just in case this works well

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Good luck finding a frame. One of my future plans is to buy a Razor Ecosmart scooter,take all the electronics off,put all that on a bmxer,then convert the scooter to gas. Sounds like a lot of effort but it will be fun to try and worth it to me in the end. The scooter already has a freewheel sprocket AND disc brake on the rear. Just so happens I know where to get a 1 or 2 speed 16" rear wheel too.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Slow RIde, be patient and go to swap meets if there are any in your neighborhood.
They will show up there year 'round but more frequently right after Christmas and during "spring cleaning" season.