is this possible

GoldenMotor.com

carvaletingpro

Dec 29, 2012
uk
Ive just been given a stihl fs36 which i believe is a 30cc engine. Its pretty compact. Is it poissble to run it via a short chain on to the front cogs. This allows me to keep the rear disc brake.
Thanks

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We have some members that have done front mount motors. I think they were friction drive. Friction drive will be far simpler. The wet climate of the UK may not be so suitable for friction drive though.
Check out the DIY non-kit subforum to see some chainsaw powered bikes.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Ive just been given a stihl fs36 which i believe is a 30cc engine. Its pretty compact. Is it poissble to run it via a short chain on to the front cogs. This allows me to keep the rear disc brake.
Thanks
Anything is possible. How much do you want to spend? Seriously, How much?dnut

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I believe that carvaletingpro is thinking of connecting it like an SBP shift kit. The tiny 30cc engine connected via a chain to the front chainring sprockets.

Yes, it can be done by using SBP's freewheeling bottom bracket parts, but that little 30cc engine would be struggling very hard to move you.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
CarV, if you're thinking of using any motorised device on the road here, you'll need to go through SVA and tax and insure it first, the Lor will treat it as a moped, not a bicycle.

And where are you? There's a few UK here, I'm in Brum.