50 state ride video

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow! I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks for bumping, Greg. This would be an ambitious project that would take a lot of time and effort if he had vids from all 50 states.

Maybe Ray can start off small and put together something from just a few of us. But, he'll be busy next weekend so don't bother him. He has to cook my lunch :)

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Yea I would still like to do this. When I first proposed to do this my house got flooded shortly after and this is one of the things that fell by the wayside. I was thinking at the time it would be real neat to have riders submit there favorite 30 seconds of there own video and specify what state it was done in. I have a program that I can download any youtube vids and then edit them. So for example, if a rider from Iowa had a cool piece of video to submit...he or she could send me the youtube link and then state the 30 second piece of the video they want me to use. Like "Please use from 1:27 to 1:57". video shot in Iowa by John Doe" Once I had all 50 states I could splice all the 30 second clips into one 25 minute video. If more then one person from a state submitted a video I would probably have to decide which to use based on video quality.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
That's a big undertaking, I've got one more video I want to do in the next few weeks that I hope to do. Its the covered bridge not far from my daughters house. Hey Ray when you and Tom video the rides it would be unique to have a aerial view of the two of you going down the road, if someone other than you knows how to operate your drone.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Even someone standing in the bed of a pickup. Cool idea Greg. I've wanted to do a video from another moving vehicle but so far I haven't found anyone who is willing to take the time. It's hard to get something good in one shot. You need to review the vid then go back and redo it to get just the right shots and angles.

Guess that's why it takes so long to make a movie. I'd be a horrible director to work with.
"Cut! Let's do it again! Places everyone! Scene two, take twenty seven! Roll it!"

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
if someone other than you knows how to operate your drone.
Greg

I sold my small drone. Saving up to buy a larger more advanced model with onboard GPS and large enough to carry a GoPro type video camera. I do have other aerial vehicles that are capable of doing video, but nothing that wouldn't take an experienced RC pilot to fly.

Like Tom said...following a pickup with someone shooting video from the bed would be a neat perspective that we don't see much on motorbycycling vids. Most vids are a first person view, which I think is neat if the scenery is good, but also be nice to capture some third person views where you get to see scenery as well as the bike and the guy or gal riding it. More eye candy so to speak.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
We got the ride in today to the covered bridge, good thing I had two cameras because the gravel road loosened my helmet cam. It was tilted slightly right and upward, it will give a good look at the construction of the wall and roof. The sunglass will get the ride through. I wish my son in law had noticed it. It was almost 46 miles round trip, I've got some editing to do because we had a total of four cameras.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Let me talk to my dad and we can get either one of our rc planes up in the air, or strap it to my bike. That would take care of North Dakota.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Greg

Sounds like an awesome fun time. Look forward to seeing the video. That's seems to be the downfall of the helmet cams. Just never quite sure if they are pointed to where you want them to be. Handlebar mounts are a good perspective and easy to keep pointed on target, but I have yet to get any video from the handlebars that is not distorted. Probably be fine on a non motorized bike, but the vibration is just to hard to contain I think.

woogie man

Some riding taken from aerial view would be real good. Would like to take some video like that from my own RC planes, but can't fly and ride at the same time.LOL

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Excellent. That is the right idea right there. You submit a link to a video that YOU made and tell what state it was filmed and once there is enough posted here to justify splicing a video together...I will definitely do that. Great job and thanks for sharing.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Thanks Greg! Your videos are great. That road your cruising looks sooooo smooth and relaxing? Won't find many smooth roads like that in my neck of the woods.