M55 Terminus ONLY $35,000.00

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yea, it's defo a sweet ride n'all... but I gotta ask, where did the money go?

Sure, it may be a "giddy robotic candyland in carbon fiber, aluminum and titanium" but to charge $35,000 particularly after;

(being) financed by the company’s owner, private investors, and a $400,000 grant
It's custom CNC frame and top of the line running gear are without a doubt both costly and impressive, but that seems to be where the preformance ends;

65 pounds... the motor is powered by lithium-ion cells which give it a range of 62 miles
...and no mention of speed as ofc it's a pedelec system, assisting only while pedaling - a good means of extending range, but hardly innovative, it's been the mainstay of most European electric bicycles for years due to their speed & power restrictions, even required by law in some regions. Even it's lithium-ion batteries have been superseded by LiFePO4 for it's far better longevity & stability.

My humble ebike may not have the shiny "carbon fiber body panels" nor such "a selection of high-end bicycle parts" as this, however my simple LiFePO4 pack & hub motor happily propel me at a sustained 25mph for 30 miles without pedaling (obv if I did, I'd have greater range). If I needed a range of 62 miles - I'd need do no more than add the readily available pedelec system for it, a $15 accessory and/or simply double my battery reserve, a $600 upgrade...

So, while my ebike isn't anything particularly special, it only cost roughly $1500, should I have chosen to bump that to about $2100 it would easily meet or exceed the above preformance parameters in all aspects save the running gear, even in weight.

So... that leaves $32,900 left for upgrading the forks, frame & brakes, not even including the $400,000 grant for R&D, nor the undisclosed amounts invested by "the company’s owner & private investors"...

An "elephant in the room" & "a price tag like that removes the Terminus from the land of bicycles and places it squarely into the domain of millionaire playthings" indeed lol

I'm not one to disparage technological innovation, nor discount the cost of R&D or even labor... but this is indeed no more than a millionaire's plaything - not exactly a great addition to ebikes, in a market already unimpressed at the cost of even basic bikes like mine.

Heck, I could be wrong - the author of the article didn't seem particularly experienced or mechanically inclined & could have easily left out any number of details. If anyone has any more info to substantiate it's "innovation" or price tag (like a hidden fusion reactor lol), please do post it up :)

samdallas214

Sep 1, 2012
Dallas Tx
Love your review Could not of said it better ,that's why I posted it to see if someone could tell me where in the he!! did the money go, should of spent a little more on looks and weight, I thought Electric Bikes was supposed to be lighter , 65 pound is more or at least about the same weight as my Schwinn with my new 4 stroke kit I'll be ordering today LOL.
TGF
Again loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

samdallas214

Sep 1, 2012
Dallas Tx

Attachments