Golden motor smart pie..e-bike number 2

GoldenMotor.com

rcnicke

Sep 4, 2012
Sweden
Finally got the smartpie.
Installation was really simple, and just took a couple of hour, with most of the time spent trying to remove the old brake handles, and keeping my son from touching everything all the time.

Took it for a test ride, and it didn't work well at all. First, it doesn't start from still, I have to get it going for anything to happen when I twist the throttle. When something did happen, 95% of the time it would just stuffer, make a real bad noise, or simple brake the bike. The rest 5% It gave some speed, but after a minute would hickup and brake to a standstill.

Did some fiddling with the USB-controller, set voltage to 36V (was 24), and disabled reverse.

New test run! Still doesn't start from standstill, I have to pedal first to get things going. But at least it works 99% of the time now, though making a bad noise at very low speed.

Took the bike to work today, and it was a really nice ride. Averaged 29.5 kph, which is about 1kph more than with my racer bicycle.

So what's with the stuttering and sound, and not starting from a standstill? To me it seems like there is something wrong with the sensors. I recognize the stuttering from RC sensorless motors/controllers trying to get into phase before speed has built up. Paul, do you recognize this behavior from your smartpie?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
are you running 36V? if so that is the same speed i get when running mine 36v. at 48v i get 38.6 kmh. i always pedal to start but later today when i get home i will try the 36v and see if it goes without pedal assist to start. starting from stop without assist is really hard on the batteries so i always do. i know the smart pie at 48v starts ok without help but i always do. as i said i will check 36v battery with it. also does you tire turn by hand pretty freely?

rcnicke

Sep 4, 2012
Sweden
The speed and power is fine, and the wheel spins freely. I'm actually surprised how good it freewheels.

The problem is not that the motor has a hard time getting the bicycle to run from no speed. The problem is the motor doesn't even try. If I lift up the bike, no load at all on the motor, it will not even try to spin the wheel when I twist the throttle. Only after I have given it a spin by hand will the throttle have any effect.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thats strange, i am not sure what it could be. i would email golden motor and see what they say and please let us know. fun riding though isn't it :)

floppie12

Nov 5, 2012
arizona
This is my second e-bike too, the first one was stolen. I have been trying different configurations for the battery. Recently I went to a backpack which required a quick disconnect. My friend is the mechanic- he wired an extension cord in w/ connectors and shrink wrapped all the wires.

I immediately noticed a difference. On start up, the green light on the power meter fades (this didn't happen before), but returns after vehicle up to speed. I made it to work and back, 8 miles each way, 16 miles round trip. I made it home without losing power. The green light was gone while using power and returned when idling/ coasting.

My concern is if I am doing any damage to the motor or battery by modifying the motor with an extension cord.

If I have posted on the wrong thread please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Noob

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Maybe you used the wrong gauge wire or your loose or bad connections. Bad connections creates heat.. I work with electric motors single and 3 phase and if I I have to troubleshoot an issue, it's usually something simple. Try a 8-12 gauge wire or change your connectors.

What kind of connectors are you using?

floppie12

Nov 5, 2012
arizona
We used but connectors- the connectors would be used in cars normally. we compared the wire gauge from the smart pie and the added cird. the new cord is smaller and rated for 13 amps. could the amp rating of the cird have an impact?
Thanks for the help.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
We used but connectors- the connectors would be used in cars normally. we compared the wire gauge from the smart pie and the added cird. the new cord is smaller and rated for 13 amps. could the amp rating of the cird have an impact?
Thanks for the help.
Amperage is the flow of current. A small gauge wire is like having a restricted artery to your heart. Feel the wire or connectors while riding. If the wire I hot, chances are its too small. Some connectors for cars only handle low amperage. A good connector to use are Deans connector. You can get them at hobby stores.

floppie12

Nov 5, 2012
arizona
Thanks again. i have been feeling the wireswhile riding. no heat or any visual sign of a problem.

Could this be a sign of some other problem? am i risking damage to any components?