Oregon laws?? got busted by cops

GoldenMotor.com

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
It is not a simple swapout. The mounting is totally different and the Robin mounting points are not straight forward either. You will also need some sort of drive system off the Robin which has a centrifical clutch setup.

Washington laws here: Washington Moped Laws They are different than the OR laws, up to 50cc and 30 mph top speed. Defined strictly as a moped they need to adhere to federal traffic safety standards for a motorized vehicles which is pretty much what majdan listed earlier. There are alot of motorized bicycles in WA running around out of compliance for sure but without much heat from the law up to this point.

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
If you look in the Oregon Motorcycle and Moped Manual, bottom of page two, under endorsments, it clearly states that if you are riding a bike with independant power source and can go over 30 mph on level ground, unassisted, you must have a motorcycle endorsment. Ore statute 811.440 # 5"When motor vehicles may operate on bicycle lane" says; A person may operate a motor Assisted scooter on a bicycle lane or path.

No, motorized bicycles are not the same as a moped.

I was stopped Saturday and told I could not ride in the street, and if I was in the bike lane, I could not use my motor. He was nice enough, but he was wrong.

If you go to http://dmv.org/or-oregon/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimumrequirements.php it states that basically, if it can go over 30 mph, it needs insurance. At the bottom under Two Wheeled Vehicles, it says Mopeds are defined as having two or three wheels, can be propelled by pedals, cannot go over 30 mph, and have an engine that is not more powerful than 50 CCs.:-||

Also of interest, he told me I had to have lights attached physically to the bike as well as reflectors; wrong again. From the Oregon Bicycle Manual, 2006 is the only one DMV had states "Lights are required by law when riding after dark. You or your bcycle must have a white light visable at least 500 feet to the front, and a red light or reflector visable at least 600 feet to the rear".

I have been riding my motorized bike around here, Hermiston, for over two years, and other than a warning for not coming to a complete stop, have never had a run in with the police, except for the time one pulled out in front of me. I do believe he was checking my braking ability because I had two lights on the front of my bike and I was wearing a bright yellow safety vest. I am also 6'7" and 260, so I know I was visable. Three people pulled out in front of me that day, and all of them within three blocks and one minute. You have to be seen to be safe.

.trlrl.

I hope this helps. Ride safe and be seen!!!

Gary

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It seems to be the same thing, over and over again.
NOT good!

A motor assisted bicycle is simply NOT in the same class as a manufactured moped.

A pretty strong chance I'll be invited into the court system this summer and I will appeal any decision made by the traffic court that I do not find favorable to my needs.

I'm basically going to go with a "self constructed motor assisted bicycle capable of less than 30mph". Period.

I just don't feel the enthusiasm to generate revenue through taxation is more important than my personal need for efficient, inexpensive, low-impact transport.

Best
rc

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
I wouldn't worry to much about it. I now carry the Oregon Motorcycle and Moped Manual with me for the bike, as well as the Oregon Bicyclist Manual for the lighting requirements. I may get pulled over again, and as I said, unless they pull the head and figure the CC, not gonna worry. I seldom go 30 anyway. I'm 260 and with the bike and motor, it's probably pullung 320-340 lbs. I went to a 40 tooth rear sprocket and expansion chamber just to be able to cruise with my pal who is 140 lbs. or so. I can outrun him on the flats, but suffer on the hills a bit.

Good luck, and keepit under 30 mph; you should be fine unless you get an ass hole cop.

G

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I just built a bike without researching the laws in Oregon and hear in Grants Pass. My bike is a 4 sroke 49 cc on a single gear cruiser bike. My licence is revoked. I am guessing this is way illegal for me to ride??.trk.
I've been to Grant's Pass, quite some time ago... Small town in a nice, wet area of the country... It's got a home-town feel, and the enforcement people most likely have a very good idea what is going on within the turf they manage.
If the court suspend your license for cause, those enforcement people are well aware of it and they will tag you when the opportunity arises. Perhaps not this day, or the next, but when they get a convenient opportunity.
Under the circumstances described, I would be very cautious.
The people of your community consider You to be the threat... especially in connection with power tools on the public highways and byways.
...And I do understand your need to get from one place to another...
I might have went for stealth, with an inconspicuous electric assist bicycle.
Nice MAB you have built... and it's evident you are an in-your-face kinda guy.
The enforcement folks will most likely snag it and send you off for a vacation.
At considerable expense.
Hope you didn't expect an opinion sugar coated...
Good luck
rc
:-||

Automan77

Jun 25, 2016
Oregon
Im actually in the proccess of building one my self and dmv will register it as well as assign a vin for it, but it would be registered as a moped. at the moment im trying to find an insurance company that will insure it so i can get it registered. does anyone have suggestions?

Stinger45

Feb 27, 2021
I have researched the Oregon Vehicle Code (ORS 801-820) and the requirements for registration and title. The displacement cutoff between a motorized scooter and a moped is 35 cc. The displacement cut off between a moped and a motorcycle is 50 cc, so according to the DVM I've just bought a Moped. This means that it needs to be titled, registered, and insured. I have read postings from others in Oregon in your forum that makes me think that I can just fake ignorance, (I guess that this may work in Portland but not in Salem) but knowing the small town that I live in and plan to operate in I know that that will only work once and my bike will be the talk of the town once I start driving it around causing one of the bright young officers on the Canby PD to do the same research that I just did and come to the same conclusion. Oregon DMV requires that the manufacture provide a original letter which states that, specificly, what modifactions need to be accomplished to bring the bike up to code. Their primary concern is emmisions and brakes. I need to submit this letter and a record of all changes that I've made to bring this vehicle up to code to the DMV along with a DMV form 7286. It is my responsibility to bring the vehicle up to code but for some odd reason they want the manufacture, who is located is some other state what needs to be done. To get this titled would you please provide me with an original letter stating the Following:

1) Engine displacement is 48 cc.
2) The engine emissions pass federal EPA emissions standards for on-road motor vehicles
2) The brakes will stop the bike at 20 mph in 25 feet
3) The muffler has an output of less than 89 dBA
4) It is owner's responsibility to bring the vehicle up to Oregon Vehicle Code (ORS 801-820) prior to the operations on public roads. These include, but are not limited to:
a) A head light
b) A Tail light
c) A Brake light
d) Front and rear turn signals
e) Front, read and side reflectors
f) A rear view mirror
g) A horn
5) It is the responsibility of the owner/operator to ensure that the vehicle and equipment installed meets the provisions of ORS 801-820 and is properly titles and registered prior to operating on Oregon public roads.

Being that I bought mine built from a manufacturer I am having him provide me with the letter that states all of the above and truck on down to the Woodburn DMV with my Form 7286 and records of modifactions in hand and see how it goes.

Stinger45

Feb 27, 2021
Soo..If I may add a little summary...You can burn, loot, riot, and even kill in Oregon cities, but the powers that are get their shorts all bunched up when you ride your little micro-engine bike on the road. Great priority list o great oregon legislature!!

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
In your position, I would probably just give up and get a little Honda or Yamaha scooter. I don't expect the police to understand the rules when I myself as an enthusiast of these bikes can't even understand them..

Or just keep it under 20 if that is not off the table at this point.