Just ordered

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I am liking the Schwinn 7spd cruiser bikes with front and rear in-line rim brakes.
Lakeshore, Majestic, Clairmont...

An extended front motor mount must be used, and I do not think anyone is making a hub adapter for the Quando rear hub. A thirty-six tooth front sprocket will allow the motor to sit quite a bit lower than the stock 44T. The sprung seat is fair, and fender braces could be modified for safety sake.

Good luck on your choice.
rc

Wally176

Apr 29, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Ok. Just bought the huffy Cranbrook. Motor should be here Saturday. I feel like a kid at Christmas!!! I got the bike unbuilt, in a box. I have read all about the locktite. Should i put the blue locktite on the bike nuts and blots too? Or is it overkill Also the fenders, do i need them or are they just decorative?(lots of posts say to remove them or strengthen them)

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Yup, tons of people use Crannys, myself included! Mine is a 2002, though, and comparing my welds to the ones on my wife's newer Huffy Panama Jack, ugh. I think the poor soul who welded mine up was mad at the world and wanted someone to get hurt...

Fenders are good for keeping water and mud off your engine and off your back, but the stock mounts are pretty fragile. I lost the mount for my stock front fender when I put on my springer front end, and have not put one on it yet. Two of my three rear fender mounts broke last weekend, after about 100 miles of use, so I took it off too.

My rear rack should be in today (ordered a cheapo chrome Wald 215), so I am going to see about lining it with something to act as a rear fender, but sturdier.

The problem with fenders breaking is that they can get jammed in your wheels and lock them up, which can result in catastrophic failure.

Wally176

Apr 29, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think I'll take the fenders off then just to be safe. I'm slightly handicapped and dont want to eat it if I can avoid it!! Just finished building it and i noticed the front fork is slightly off center. So the wheel sits slightly left will this be a huge problem? I live in the city of Philadelphia and cruisers are hard to come by!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE AWESOME INFO SUPPLIED TO ME IN MY FIRST BUILD!!

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
built a cranbrook nice bike for price,use a washer to center wheel,i used my fenders but needed short exhaust to clear front fender and used custom front motor mount. pic. shows stock exhaust and custom mount,used muffler lil shorter to clear fender, but your choice fender or not.peace

Attachments

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
I was scared of my fender screwing up and the metal tangling in the spokes so I bought these topeak mt bike fenders ( 28.00) after seeing killercanunks fenders . The back fender has a strap to tighten to seat post and I dabbed some rv sealant on it and it is tight as can be. The front goes up into the hole between the forks and has an expansion wedge. It holds tight too. I figure if it goes bad the plastic might disengrate in spokes and not stop tire. I am happy they fit my cruiser I think they look good too.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The 'Topeak Defender' is a great front fender, I've had one for years on my Schwinn & it's been great for thousands of miles, I like it so much I transferred it to my latest mountain bike build.

I should mention tho that the expansion wedge mount can't be trusted 100% and it may eventually fail. No big deal at all tho as even if it drops out it won't try and kill you like the steel ones seem prone to. This can be easily prevented in ay case with a coupla zipties crisscrossed under the fender mount and over the fork.

It may not be a problem for you however - when mine eventually failed it was in the middle of winter & the fender was loaded with ice & snow...

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
The 'Topeak Defender' is a great front fender, I've had one for years on my Schwinn & it's been great for thousands of miles, I like it so much I transferred it to my latest mountain bike build.

I should mention tho that the expansion wedge mount can't be trusted 100% and it may eventually fail. No big deal at all tho as even if it drops out it won't try and kill you like the steel ones seem prone to. This can be easily prevented in ay case with a coupla zipties crisscrossed under the fender mount and over the fork.

It may not be a problem for you however - when mine eventually failed it was in the middle of winter & the fender was loaded with ice & snow...
Thanks man I was wondering about how to handle the "just in case" scenerio. I thought about gunking up some RV sealant up there but zip ties in addition to that will be good :)

Wally176

Apr 29, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
WOOO HOOO. According to fed ex package is 9 hrs away, should be here tomorrow!!!! Thanks to everyone who helped me sort this stuff out! I'm sure to have more questions when i actually star the build , but you all have provided me with invaluable information! thanks again!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I like alot of people don't run fenders, a friend that I ride with was determined to keep fenders on his delmar. After making new mounts and repairs the fender itself started cracking so he removed both. Stock fenders will not hold up.