tire too wide to clear chain?! come on!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Is the wheel at a slight angle to the frame? The only simple fix I can think of is to loosten the rear wheel and when you re-tighten it leave maybe an 8th of an inch clearance between the tire and chain. Anything else would require the new sprocket hub.

One other thing, the nuts on the rag joint are all supposed to be the locking-type nuts or nylock nuts as they are called.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Second photo from bottom, post 26, the one that is sideways; if you rotate that photo so you're looking down instead of trying to tilt your head it really shows the difference between the right and left clearance at the seat stays.
It looks to me like the wheel is canted in the frame and to the left which will reduce the chain/tire clearance.

In that same photo I see he has that spring on the clutch cable that should have gone in the trash instead of where it's at. It serves no useful purpose except to add to the pressure needed to disengage the clutch. Remove it.

As far as the kit instructions telling you to put the sprocket against the spokes, you're not the first to get that bad information. Always remember those instructions have been translated from Chinese to English and often you'll see mistakes. That's one of them.

Tom

buttafinguz

Mar 7, 2012
nashville
What does canted to the frame mean?
I'll dump the spring on the clutch.
Need to get some locking nuts for the spocket-check.
Yeah the wheel does seem like it favors the left side--don't know why.
Thought the chain suppose to be tight....I'll loosen it a little.

Tire too fat.... man I love that look... It will be the last option to get rid of them. what did tom say?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have installed 8 of these kits on various bikes. I had to change to 1.95" tire width and mount the sprocket to the wheel with the dish out on every on of them to totaly eliminate dangerous sidewall damage from the chains.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I would not ride with a chain/tire hit. Turn right with the gas let off and you will have a tire rub.

Dangerous.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I would not ride with a chain/tire hit. Turn right with the gas let off and you will have a tire rub.

Dangerous.
I don't understand how turning would make the chain rub more. I thought that when a 2 wheel bike is banked into a turn, there is no side force on any part of the bike or rider. The fuel in the tank is even banked, with no side force attracting it level to earth. So it seems that a chain would do the same. If the fuel in the tank isn't banked with the bike and rider, while turning then the bike is out of control, unless one were doing some trick stuff like strait line sidewall riding or climbing over on the side in a turn.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
What does canted to the frame mean?
means it's not centered in between the frame properly. it's leaning to the left, and the left side axle nut would be further up the drop-out than the right.

with the axle nuts finger-tight, you can pull back the wheel to adjust your chain tension on the pedal side, then tighten the LEFT axle nut down first, then, push the front of the wheel towards the right and tighten down the pedal side.

also, make sure your spoke-breaker... uh... i mean... chain tensioner isn't pushing the chain into the tire.

AND BOLT THE COASTER BRAKE ARM TO THE FRAME!

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Bike hubs come in different sizes. Some are 100mm wide, others are 110 or 120 and so on. The size determines the distance from the dropouts to the center of the wheel as well as to the center of the tire. A 120mm hub will give you more clearance between the chain and the tire than a 100mm one. In most cases, if a narrow hub is matched to the width of the frame between the dropouts, and you want to install a wider hub, it is pretty easy to "spread" the frame to accomodate the wider hub. In extreme cases I have even resorted to using a scissor jack to widen the distance between dropouts an inch or two. One way to cure your problem is to get a wheel with a wider hub or lace a wider hub into your rim and spread your frame a little. Otherwise, you won't be able to overcome your existing geometry with a wide tire.

buttafinguz

Mar 7, 2012
nashville
Pirate states that the spocket adapter comes in 5 different sizes. How would I know what size to get for my macargi Huntington?

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
buy a digital caliper and measure the diameter. or look up the specs and see what the diameter is..